how do you start passion flowers from seed?

fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

I found passion flower seeds at walmart the other day and would like to try and start them from seed could anyone help me out? thanks shawn

San Diego, CA

Shawn, do you know what type they are? I usually soak mine in orange juice for a day or two, but others swear it isn't necessary. Anyhow, try to keep your seeds around 70 if possible, and bottom heat alway's helps. Use a seed starting mix, not just regular soil and that will help as well.
Mark

How many days to germinate, on average, Mark?

fort erie, ON(Zone 6a)

thanks i will try it,shawn

Huntington, IN(Zone 5b)

Actually, I am trying now for the first time...seven days and nothing yet.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Passifloras can take up to a year to germinate. Most of mine germinated in 60-90 days with very warm peaty soil and warm weather outside. I soak mine for 24-48 hours in water which starts out hand hot. I use this link for germination tips: http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html Some types of passifloras will germinate faster than others.

Thank you so much, Clare, for this information!! So the moral of the story is to buy a plant for immediate gratification LOL.

San Diego, CA

Gerris, I see Clare answered your question, just didn't want you to think I wasn't answering.
Mark

Not a problem, Mark...have a great snow-free day out west!

Joseph

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

LOL, Joseph, and my pleasure! Growing from seeds can be rewarding too:-) Oh, I forgot to mention that most passifloras flower their second season when grown from seed. Only a couple flower their first season from seed so don't be disappointed if you don't see flowers the first year. Some hybrids, like P. bellotii, are sterile and can only be propagated from cuttings so you may want to buy a small vine if you can find one so you can see flowers right away.

Edited to fix spelling.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2005 7:33 PM

I'll be dancing a jig if I just see 1 seed germinate LOL! I can wait 1 summer to see flowers. Thanks for all the very useful information!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.