Kitchen Worm Compusting Bin Info. needed

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Has anyone ever tried these? Seems like something really cool to have. But I would like to know if anyone has had good bad or indifferent results with them. $115.00 is alot of money to spend if the products doesn't do as advertized.

http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=15884&cmCategoryID=9

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Flowejunkie, I'd also like to have a worm bin, but I'm looking for a home-made cheap/free method. Would love to hear from someone who is already doing it and get his/her feedback.

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

roseone33,

I'm with you. I would prefer to save the $115.00 but right now its seems my compost pile take to long for my taste to break down. I've heard these 'Red Wiggle Worms' which BTW are EXTRA so that means my cost would be $150.00...after all do need the worms.

Lets see if anyone can give us a cheaper way of doing this.

Long ago, I used to have a book, "Worms Eat My Garbage" and it was a very basic do -it-yourself thing, although you did have to order the worms.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Ladies, let your fingers do the walking via Google... lots of homemade things that work.

Just went to amazon.com and they have the book for cheap and it might be worth buying a used copy. darius, you're right, google has it all. I guess we're hoping a DG person who is actually doing it will give us their feedback.

I was amazed at the worm bins in my county extension office (when I lived in Asheville). The workers put most of their lunch left-overs (no fats or meats) into a bin under one clerk's desk. No smell. But that doesn't address a long-term situation, like the liquid, and the need for the worms to move up into a clean layer...

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Yep. I was hoping someone here had already tried it. So far. I'll see what I can find on the web. Will keep you guys posted.

Daisy

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

darius,

Thanks for the mental 'jump'. I found exactly what would be perfect for me to make. Something I can keep in the kitchen. AAANNND I already have the bins...just need to get the worms.

http://www.digitalseed.com/composter/vermicomposting.html

Its not as fancy as the $150.00 jobby, but its clean and easy to make with my kind of price tag...

Cool!

Great web site, maybe I might actually try it instead of thinking about it.

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to share my worm experience: I started a worm bin in August -I bought a large, plastic storage container, drilled a bunch of holes on the upper sides and top of the lid. I ordered 1 lb of red wigglers, and shredded the newspaper,etc like a lot of websites tell you. It freezes pretty hard in the winter, and I didn't really have a spot inside for it, so I bought a small aquarium heater and stuck it in a water filled jar in the worm bin. I checked a couple weeks ago, and thought I had lost them all - the entire bin was frozen solid. However, it warmed up to 40 degrees the other day, and I peeked (afraid of what I'd see). There they were wiggling all over the place (and hungry - a bunch had crawled out already).
So the worms can take quite a beating. As a sidenote- my bin is not getting much food this winter because it's so cold, they don't really eat much. Also, a lot of worms have crawled out of my bin and are now strewn across the garage floor... I think they need more space this spring (a second bin?) but I just wanted to share with you in case you find this happening in the kitchen...
Hope some of this info was helpful-
Mara

Hi Mara,
this info is very helpful, thanks. What you've done seems really simple and a whole lot cheaper than a catalog worm bin.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

hi everyone-I'm new on the scene- hmm how did I end up here talking about worms? thought I'd add my little story- one of my daughters school teachers had a worm box in the class room that certainly was productive, and didn't smell. It was amazing (scary?) to look in there, all those worms and worm larvae, but they sure ate all the kid's lunch left-overs very quickly!. It was actually a long wooden box that had a hinged lid like a toy box. "Grandpa" (the teacher's Armenian father, with a big wooly beard) tended the box from time to time--He had started it with the red wigglers and garden compost. Now and then he took out worm castings, or added a bit of compost if he thought they needed it, but it was a very low maintenance thing. It didn't leak, so I think this operation was a bit dryer than the soaked newspaper concept. Just relating this because it appeared so easy...but maybe grandpa had some secrets I never knew about....

Welcome sjms!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

My worm bin is an old chest-type freezer...I divided it in half with a wooden frame of rabbit wire so I can have one side working and harvest the castings from the other side.

Altho I drilled drain holes in the bottom and have a tray underneath to catch any tea I've never witnessed any. Guess I just don't allow it to get all that wet. I keep the medium moist though because Sparks (DG member who "re-encouraged" me to do another worm bin) told me he would put his food scraps in a blender, add a little water, and chop/puree it. This helped break the food down much much faster than throwing in solid chunks.

My worm bin is outside (under a roof but exposed to outdoor temps) so I put in a light bulb and turn it on to keep the temp in there higher. Be careful...I recently put in a 100 watt bulb (only one I had) and forgot it was on one day when the daytime temp warmed up. Some of the worms tried to escape but had nowhere to go; they left the side with the compost/food scraps and crawled to the other side where they were fried. (I fed the crispy critters back into the fist side.)

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

I've been "vermi-composting" for a little over two years now. I bought an inexpensive plastic bin that had a lid w/air vents. It sounds much like Mosc's. I then shredded newspaper (not the colored slick ads) and moistened it like a wrung out sponge. Then it's time to add worms and food scraps (stay away from fats/meats). I started with 2 lbs. of worms. They will eat faster when it is warmer, but keep them out of direct heat - I baked some of mine accidentally. After the first time I bought worms, I never bought more even after setting the lot free in the garden. When I started up my new bin, I just gathered some from the bottom of the compost bin and the garden. So I do believe it can be done very inexpensively.

When the worms have eaten most of their newspaper bedding, I stop feeding them scraps for about a week. Then I give some scraps in one corner of the bin. The next day I place the bin in sunlight with the lid off. The little guys don't like the light and scoot to the bottom. You can then scoop the castings off the top. When you get to worms, stop a few minutes, they scoot down, you scoop more. When you're done harvesting the castings, you can add more shredded newspaper and fresh scraps. I have found when I don't add some newspaper, the container can get anarobic (sp?) - too wet and lacking oxygen.

When I started, I read as much as I could about it first. I remember reading that you shouldn't add water to make tea to your bins. Instead, you should take the harvested castings and make the tea. The other way your end result is diluted. Anyhow, I'm a big fan of the by-product. My plants just love the stuff.

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

WOW! All this information is so encouraging and sounds very simple. I still haven't put my worm farm together. Still digesting and reading. Most of my delay has been due to finding a good source for the worms. Can any of you experienced "vermi-composters" point me in the right directions? I'm only looking for one pound of worms...but what I find is that they are about $32.00 a pound plus shipping. Is this the best price I can get? I really don't mind paying the $32.00 but would like to buy from a place that is refered to me by one of you.

plant_fiend,

I have a compost pile outdoors already. How do you know you have red wigglers in the compost pile? Any way to identify them? Sure hate to buy them if I already have them.

Daisy

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

this sounds like a great project for me and my boys. I will look around for a plastic container that would work, and a small light fixture. Will be watching this thread for more great info...

edited to say TWO plastic containers...

This message was edited Jan 29, 2005 11:04 AM

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hey Daisy, use the digital seed link above, they have a link for worm suppliers, as low as 9 a pound...

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi I am new to Daves Garden but I have been vermi composting for 3-4 years now . I have done it both ways out doors (zone 5 ) and in . The first winter I had the worms I had them in my basement and they all climbed out!!! I was horrified , I went down stairs and saw all these crispy little jail breakers stuck to the floor , they didn't get to far, the concrete floor just sucked the life out of them , crime doesn't pay : ) The next year when I left my worms out side I used a container simmilar to a trash can . I cut the bottom off drilled holes in the sides and buried it about half way in a protected corner of my yard . I filled the bottom with sand, then compost, worms kitchen scraps, more compost . It worked great I coudn't beleive how much those little guys ate! I guess the red wigglers are drawn to the heat rather than repelled by it . You know how earth worms go down deep in the ground to get to a cool place, red wigglers do the opposite ( to a certain extent ) No body likes to be fried! : ) . I brought the worms in in the fall not so much for their safety but so they would continue to make compost ( they do slow down when it is cold out !) Because the bin was open ended and buried they could go down deep to get away from the frost. When I brought them in I just used a rubbermade container I already had and drilled holes in the sides . I removed the worms as best I could from the out door compost so as to leave behind some of the other bugs . My worms are now happily munching away under my bench in the front hall . They particularly like cantalope they don't like to much citrus or other acidc things. I do not have holes in the bottom so if it starts to get to moist I just add more dry stuff. If you want to avoid fruit flies don't add bannana peels to your indoor bin. and if you get fruit flies just place a bannana peel in a covered deli container , make a small hole in the lid , and they will go in for the bannana but can't figure out how to get out!
I am rambling now
by for now laura

Thanks laura,this is good information

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

WOW, laura, great tip on getting rid of fruit flies...

Laura,
Do your worms try to escape when they are inside? I'm afraid to bring them in because of all of the escapees in the garage...
Thanks,
Mara

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Can anyone tell me, can you use 'earth worms' (like the kind sold at fishing bait shops) for the worm farm? And how many worms do you add to the bin if its one of those big plastic bins from the store? Thanks, Jill

momof2d,
If you are using a bin, you cannot use the regular large earthworms. I guess they live under different conditions. So you should get red worms, usually called red wigglers. You can start with a pound of them - sellers usually sell them by the pound because there are so many in a pound, (I bought a pound for about $25... which seems expensive, but they have been multiplying like crazy and I'm sure I have at least 2 pounds of them by now).
Good luck!
Mara

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Mara, now I just need to decide where to put the bin, I dont think I'd like em' crawling on my floor! LOL! Thanks for the info

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Speaking of worms "vacating the premises" (escaping), that will happen when conditions are inappropriate, such as too wet, too dry, too hot, etc. (Suppose this would also happen if there was no longer anything to eat, also!)

Momof2d..."earthworms" (from your ground and/or outdoor compost bin) don't care for the disturbance of their burrows and are really not suitable. They also don't process large amounts of organic material like the "composters". (The previous two sentences were taken from the book, " Worms Eat My Garbage"...really good book re worm bins.)

It also goes on to say that your "bait dealer may refer to it as a red hybrid" (referring to the redworm, not the earthworm).

The worms I have are nicknamed "tiger worms' and have a definite pattern of alternating red and buff stripes. If you can inspect the worms your local bait dealer sells then look for those to help identify what kind he has. You may have what you need closer than you think, and at a great price!

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I have not had a problem with my worms escaping in the house since that first time . Sometimes when you first get worms they just do that as part of their adustment to a new place and other times it is the conditions in the bin are anerobic If you want to make sure they stay in leave a light on in the room . They don't like the light and will stay put . Once they realize how good they have it they will settle down and enjoy the good life
laura.
PS regular earth worms are drawn to the cool deep earth . Composters like a little more action : )

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks all, I think I'll give it a shot! :)

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Red wrigglers are supposed to be the best because they usually live in the upper layers of soil versus deeper like other earthworms. The reason I now have red wrigglers in my compost bin is because I tossed some in from the worm bin. Also, when I add compost to my garden, there are worms and eggs being dispersed that way, too. They really do multiply like crazy.

It has been about 3 years since I bought my worms, but I'm pretty sure they only cost $16.00 per lb plus shipping. I believe I bought them in Santa Rosa, Ca. I bet you'll come up with a better price if you do a bit of research. If I find something, I will post here.It sounds like Shoe has a good idea about the bait shops.

For those of you who have been dealing with worms for a longer time than me..
I have had my worms about 4-5 months, but at least one of those months, they were somewhat frozen, so they didn't eat very much. I'm wondering about when to harvest the casings - I'm posting a picture of what most of the stuff in my bin looks like right now - I actually dumped it out, ready to harvest, but then I thought it may not be "done" enough yet.. so I put everything back in an fluffed it up because it was quite compact. Is this what yours looks like when you harvest?
Also, have any of you tested the stuff for nutrients? I just got one of those test kits, and it said my ph was neutral, high nitrogen, but very low phosphorous and potassium. Are there any foods that break down to alot of P or K other than banana peels?
Thanks for any help!
Mara

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Hey Mara,

Where is the photo???

oops I thought I had the picture on there....

Thumbnail by mosc0022
Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

I think all the newspaper should be gone? I'm not sure maybe somebody else can tell you.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mine is black and like very rich dirt when finished. I think you could wait a bit longer and let them really "poop it up" good!

As for nutrition...this will vary depending on your food source. There will probably be amounts of potassium and phosphorus but will vary greatly. Maybe your test kit didn't pick them up? Or did you just use newspaper as the medium and not add food scraps?

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Horseshoe,

How long does it take for the compost to be ready...generally speaking?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I think I harvested my first run after 4 or 5 months. However, the amount of time will depend on how many worms you have working for you and the size of your bin, how much you feed them (and what) and also temperature. The more worms in a bin the faster they'll turn your scraps into castings. As for temps, if they are cold they'll slow down on their eating.

I'll see if there is any definite time-frame info in the worm book I have and if so will report back in. Or perhaps someone else here has the same book (Worms Eat My Garbage).

(Tonite my worm friends happily dined on coffee grounds and filters, tater peelings and brocolli...all topped off with a judicious serving of crushed egg shells. Those babies are partying tonite!) (I can hear them "yee-hawing"!)

Thanks for the info Horseshoe. I think I'll wait a while... the worms were eating very well this summer, but I haven't been putting much food in lately (mainly because it was almost frozen solid and they weren't really eating). I'll wait until I can put a bunch more food and then in maybe 2 months, it'll be ready.
-Mara

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

yes your worm castings should be further along than that . They all but stop eating if they are almost frozen .Wait till they warm up ( or bring em in doors) . In my bin the news papers stay on top I just pull them back , add my kitchen scraps then cover them over with the paper. It keeps the compost moist and the bugs down. I guess you have figured out by now it is not an exact sience every one has a method that works best for them . : )
Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.