question on datura seeds

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

my daughter brought home(school project for mothers day) two seeds of white daturas. ( have back up seeds on the way from a generous person if these dont germintae)

okay these seeds have been planted 2 weeks now with bottom heat. wouldnt i see something by now if they were viable?? i have had daturas in the past come up outside on their own after i scattered them but this is the first time with actual bottom heat for me and being inside.

they were covered but i uncovered the seeds thinking they might need light??? like i said i usually in spring just plant in pot and mother nature does the rest. thanks for any help.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I just checked my notes ( one of the good things I did in 2004 ) for when I planted my datura seeds. I planted them 4/26 in RW...under lights & probably bottom heat....the first mention I have after that of them coming up is 5/6...hope this helps...maybe in the winter they take alittle longer...Margie

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

imzadi,
I tried some Dats under lights out of 5 cups 2 came up but it took a long time..... I need to get as organized as Margie and write dates...... either on the back of my mini-blind plant tags or in a journal

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I have some in RW now for almost five weeks, one just starting to sprout

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

vs....I started a Garden Notes file on my computer...I am here anyway for the forums and all...so it is much easier for me to keep then in a notebook! This is working really good for me!
When I see a post that I really like, I even copy and paste it into the file...also when I get and send plants and seeds and fertilize and whatever else I can think of that will help in the future!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

well i guess it will get more time then. okay so there is hope yet for these two seeds. thanks everyone.

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

Margie, do you file your stuff in a DG journal??

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Sherry....no I don't....just on my own comp[uter, my own file...

Is it rounde, black seeds or flattened tan seeds? Only curious, because several Datura are caled white Datura :) Both types should be covered 2 cm down in a light sowing mix and kept lightly moist. If it is black seeds, they will most often germinate within 1-3 months at 20 *C (it is a highland species often found in 1.800 m), where as the tan seeds needs temps at 24-28 *C. (as they are lowland desert shrubs from sealevel to 1.000 m). Of course I hope, that they have already germinated. Wishing your daughter good luck with her school project :)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

they are tan seeds and unfortunatly they have not germinated.

i have a few others to try if these dont in another week or so. My daughter is getting down over this. so am i do to her being un happy.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Try a couple the DENO method (wet papertowel sealed in a plastic baggie)....this has worked gangbusters for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.