Will anyone flask for me?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Will anyone flask for me? I'll give you 50% of the end product, share some of the costs or even pay for your services!

This whole thing is kind of scary. The place that flasks for you only lets you keep a small part of your own plants! And you still have to pay for the flask and s&h. Not what I call free.

Then, if your seeds and info about the pollinating process aren't up to their standards, they'll make you pay for more things. And they tell you how much you owe after they send everthing to you so you could end up owing a large amount.

The third option where only you keep the seed isn't any good either, b/c they send you a certain amount, discard the rest and all the costs really add up. You end up buying your own seed.

Flasking myself is this whole process where I don't know what things are, what they mean and I have some of the supplies but I can just imagine how much buying the rest is going to cost.

So, will anyone flask for me?!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

you know, there is another possibility. If you feel like playing with another method, here is something interesting to try:
http://www.orchideenvermehrung.at/cgi-local/framebreaker/reload.pl?english/seed%
20germination/bark/

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

I doubt the bark method would work for paphs, which is what you're looking at trying, right?

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

"which is what you're looking at trying, right?"

Yes and no.
Yes - they describe a method for germinating on bark, it seemed worth a look?
No - I find the whole website interesting. Digging around there, one comes across a ton of articles on pollination, in vitro germination and so on. ("downloads and hints").

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

oh I didn't mean you. CptM sent me mail asking about paphs, so I thought that was what she was looking at trying.

I've seen that site before and love the info there.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay, I read up on the whole thing, learned how to perform the whole process and located all the materials needed.

It'll end up costing under $50.00 because it's really not that expensive of a thing to do and I have most of the supplies anyways. All I basically had to buy (and I didn't even have to, I could have made these) were the flasking mediums (1 for the mother, 1 for the de-flask) and clear lids for the flasks.

I was already and everything and then I found out that you can't breed first flower seedlings b/c it could kill them! So... I'll all ready to try it next time these flower... which will be a while, or I can buy atleast second growth flower orchids and try it with those, but I'm not ordering and having live plant shipped until spring when it warms up.

Sigh, I was really looking foward to this!

Maybe I'll be able to experiment on some of my other orchids, self pollination, if the flasking material stores well, b/c it'd just be too expensive (25.00 minimun order and other costs) and too long of a wait for flowers for experimenting when I can just mericlone. Maybe I'll try that...

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Capt,
are you in a hurry to try this out? If not, and if you are not too specific if they are Paphs or any other orchid, I might be able to supply you with seed pods next summer. I grow Bletillas against my house wall outside and they always produce lots of seed pods.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

That would be SUPER! Do you know if they're Bletillas striata, formosana, or ochracea? Doesn't really matter, I just like sounding like I know what I'm talking about.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

They are striata. I am attaching the 2003 picture. I noticed last year that the reds also started multiplying. The albas always seemed to grow easier. I did plant years ago a couple of ochracea, they never came back.
I'll make a note of it, next summer - seed pods for you.

Thumbnail by RUK
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

RUK would you have any of those to spare, you can check out my seeds or SASBE.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

kareoke,
we'll talk next summer. I will post, when the time comes.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Great RUK thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.