Mayflies are coming...

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Every year we have a plague of what I think are Mayflies. (the huge mosquito looking things) I think I have possibly discovered what might be larvae. I remember looking this up last year but forgot about them until I uncovered these worms today when trying to kill fire ants. Anyone know how I get rid of them before they are able to reproduce again? Nematodes?? I'm not sure if you can see it from this picture, but I'll post it anyways. It's brown but looks sort of clear sometimes. It's nasty.

Thumbnail by konkreteblond
Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Why do you want to kill them? They do no harm and come and go too quickly to trouble anyone.Jessamine

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, since you asked...I need to research it all again. (I slept since then) I'm remembering reading that the larvae can kill our grass and we had some problem spots the last few years. The actual Mayfly isn't bothersome other than there are huge swarms of them. Whatever I do, I want to keep it organic. The neighbor on one side of me put out something last year that will probably kill them and every other thing on that side.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.