Does anyone know where I can find this??? PLease!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

aesculus x carnea plantierensis

http://mytho-fleurs.com/images/jardins_botaniques/meise/aesculus%20x%20carnea%20plantierensis.JPG

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Try Forest Farm. They have horsechesnut trees- and they are a good Co to order from.

Sorry, I don't do the linky thingamajigs!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Forest Farm has everything! Thanks

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10b)

that's gorgeous!! do you think it would grow in zone 9a or 9 b? southwestern florida?

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

In my Southern Living book, it says that their zone is upper to lower south. Is your zone considered coastal or tropical south?

This message was edited Jan 20, 2005 8:17 PM

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't find the same one as in the pic but forestfarm has a couple that are pretty close.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Capt,
Call or email them. They might can tell you of someone who sells the exact one you want.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Call Forest Farm or the place I found the picture? I found the pic on some foreign site with some kind of language I couldn't indentify. It's so pretty, I was so dissapointed.

I guess... I can do searches on red horsechestnut and see if I can find even closer flowers than the forest farm's and work from there.

They kind of look like pride of barbados... well a pink variety anyways.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

That hybrid is spectacular. It originated in France 1894. Its parents are A. hippocastanum X (A. X carnea). Hilliers Guide says it is hardy to zone 5

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's just gorgeous. Find a nursery that carries them and we'll go "shopping"... yes....shopping..buhhahahaha
Lemme get my black mask and gloves, teheeeeeeee.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

A common name that comes up for that is "Pink Horsechestnut". I looks like J.C. Raulston Arboretum at NY State University aquired a one gallon in 1997. Perhaps it's creating seed? Field trip anyone? (Mask & gloves optional....LOL) According to the entry...they got it from Arborvillage (Nursery?) NC ...

I found a mail order nursery "Arborvillage" in MO (perhaps they moved or are an affiliate?) and they are listed in the Garden Watchdog

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/704 Although I don't see it listed in the catalog.....perhaps an email to them?

Now on further inspection I find that the address given in the arboretum listing shows "Arborvillage, NC" but checking further I find that "Camellia Farm Nursery, NC" has supplied magnolias and other trees...perhaps they may have one (or it may have been a typo in 1997?)

Boy, I just read over all that....sorry it's so confusing....you may need to resort to Crimson's mask and glove discount.....LOL

Good luck! K :~D

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Not all nurseries offer everything for sale every year. ArborVillage probably carries this tree, but doesn't have any available for sale right now. It may be available for sale in 2005, 2006 or not until 2007. You'll just have to keep looking until you find the plant.

Emailing or calling is also a good idea since the nursery may have the plant available, but in quantities too limited to list the plant for sale. A simple call may be all it takes to obtain this plant.

I have received very nice trees from Lanny at ArborVillage.
Good luck,
Mike

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Ok...... I PROMISE...this one will be short!

Forest Farm does list it in their catalog! They list "tube" as N/A and 1 gallons are $25....YIKES! Email them though....(many nurseries list things as N/A when they only have a few)....they may be willing to sell you 1 tube (if you promise not to tell...LOL)

(Edited.....Ha! Great minds think alike Treelover!)

This message was edited Jan 22, 2005 10:04 AM

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I kind of give up when I see those N/As but asking never hurts! It might even help. Duh, that was your whole point!

I'm up for a 5 finger discount.... I've got a whole list and free always beats buying stuff!

Why is it that I always come up with and desire plants that nobody seems to sell?!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

good grief! that thing almost doesn't look real! Good luck getting it. If you do, let us know...

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Yes Capt.....it's a bummer to get caught with clippers, rooting gel, and zip locks in your purse though....LOL

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

That is an amazing image. Beautiful. I poked around their website a little and they took the image at National Botanic Garden of Belgium. So then I poke around their website and found this listing for it:

Aesculus x carnea Hayne 'Plantierensis'
Family : Hippocastanaceae
Cultivated material.

Determination : Verified (De Meyere D., 26may1988)
Source : United Kingdom, Ampfield, The Hillier Gard. & Arb. (N)
Hilliers website is: http://www.hillier.co.uk/ and they apparently do sell, although it looks like wholesale.

Hope this helps and thank you for posting that. Gorgeous.
Annie

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Maybe I can email them and ask if they sell to any companies here in the US that'll sell to me retail.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Try http://www.cdr3.com/buckeyes/
looks like they have it or have it's pappy the red buckeye
Red Buckeye ____$5.95
Yellow Buckeye ____$5.95
Horsechestnut ____$5.95

Good luck

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't really care about the name, the yellow one looks close enough to what I wanted! I'm placing an order. THANK YOU!!!!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

CaptMicha - Don't order the yellow buckeye from Empire if you are seriously trying to locate the plant you pictured above. Yellow buckeye - Aesculus flava (A. octandra) has yellow (tinge of green) flowers. I checked out the link dovey provided (Empire National) - their site makes me uneasy - I steer clear of any website which does not list the latin for their plants such as this one.

The tree from your original link is a hybrid of Red Buckeye. [Michael Dirr reports A x plantierensis flowers are a "soft pink or red with yellow throat, panicles to 12" long. The tree does not set fruit and the fact that it is a triploid explains this sterility. Raised in the nursery of Simon-Louis Freres, at Plantieres, near Metz, France. Has been placed as a cultivar of A. x carnea by Griffiths. A lovely plant has established a niche in the Arnold Arboretum's great Aesculus collection and a plant also resides in Athens."]

We have A. x carnea 'Fort McNair' growing in our yard and it is gorgeous, pink flowers with yellow throats, a much better match for what you're looking for and should be fairly easy to find at a nursery locally. Hope this helps.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

TY, I'll look into it!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

You might want to check out what it says about Empire National on the Garden Watchdog page.
http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/2210/
I have never dealt with them, just found the site and thought I would share it.
Dovey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.