Waiting For Peonies to Arrive

Corte Madera, CA

Love at first sight with PEONY just like how BRUG hit me! Been reading about peonies and where to get them. I just ordered from bloomingbulb.com. DGers seem to be pretty happy about them. I'm trying my luck.

They will be shipped between Feb. 14 - 28.

Peony Primavera
Sebastian Maas
Bowl of Beauty

I'm so glad I found DG last month.

Best wishes to your gardens!

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

They are a grand flower and bush aren't they? I just have such fond memories of peonies back when I was a child in my mother's yard. Your luck will be fine moonglow, just make sure you follow the directions on how deep to plant your peony. It human nature to really want to bury a root in the ground, but peonies will not bloom if they are too deep. I'll be expecting some nice pictures from you!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

moonglow - a big welcome to DG to you! You were wondering about growing peonies in your zone. Here's a thread that mentions a few tips. Sure hope you have good luck with them! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/439407/

Corte Madera, CA

kooger, i am reading away. thank you, and thank you for the warm welcome. kathy, you are right about HUMAN NATURE, lol. that's one thing i remember about the packet: no more than ONE INCH....

Corte Madera, CA

so...those PINK SPROUTS are called EYES? i have to read the thread again, kooger. they are out there already, and one is at least 2".

what are PEONIES supposed to be doing this time of year? thanks!

waking up...got it, kooger. woo-hoo, this is so exciting.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2005 6:07 PM

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

In my 5 zone, my peonies start showing as soon as it warms up, they come out of the ground all curled up and darker, get taller and lighter in color. Be careful not to mow them down, I did this one time and it took me a few years to get it back blooming.

Corte Madera, CA

thanks, kathy. between now and their delivery date, i have time to prepare their beds.

please post pics of YOUR peonies, big and small. just really curious what HEALTHY is. i appreciate all the help!

sincerely,
annapet

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I don't have any exciting pictures of my peonies, I didn't get a camera until they were out of bloom. However I can show you what they look like after they bloom. Peonies don't last long and you may find that a rain makes them weep to the ground and they can use some helping support.. they make peony rings to put over them to support them. You can also devise your own support with what ever you have, stakes, a cut down tomato cage, etc.

These peonies in a pot are the ones I bought in the summer, I like to baby things with enough water until planting time and was holding them in pots until fall planting. This first one shows you what the peony foilage will look like when its dying off for the season. Its a Felix Crousse.

Thumbnail by IsThisHeaven
Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

An Alex Fleming that was bought and potted at the same time, is a bit behind in dying off.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

These peonies were done blooming, Festiva Maximus between the grasses and the smaller one at the end is a Bowl of Beauty which has been moved since.

During very hot and dry season, its not unlikely for peonies to develop brown spots on them, they have never hurt their growth, a little unsightly though.

Corte Madera, CA

i don't know how else to thank you both for all the help earlier on. thanks for the pictures, kathy. to you both, please let me know if you're interested in other varieties. i'll watch out for them.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

You've got 'eyes' and we've got a winter storm watch. I'm in the wrong zone!!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

http://www.bbpeony.com/GrowingPeoniesintheSouth.htm I was doing some reading and noticed this section that you might like to read. :)

Corte Madera, CA

thank you!!!

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

This is Moonglow's future back YARD.

Corte Madera, CA

OMG! Can I fast forward to that one???

Kathy, the funny thing also is that I want a little part of the yard to become a Zen Garden. Even just a 10' x 10' portion will do. Then I find out that PEONIES are Japanese Garden mainstays.

That's an ocean of peonies and I love it! Thanks!

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Hehe... maybe I got mixed up, yours or MY future back yard.

Hey, take a look at this yellow one called Goldilocks, I'm drooling over it.

http://www.peonyparadise.com/Varieties_G_K.html

Corte Madera, CA

ROTFL. You are so funny. My jaws are hurting from laughing.

Corte Madera, CA

my DOREEN's are waking up! they may not have enough cold weather to bloom this season, but i'll be happy just to see FOLIAGE.

did you find GOLDILOCKS?

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh I found her alright, hefty price as well. I've got alot of new peonies to start this spring and I will have to hold off on Goldilocks for awhile. Maybe the price will come down by then too. :)

Corte Madera, CA

Thank goodness I got some peonies here locally, and some from you Kathy. At least now, I'm watching them wake up while still waiting for the bloomingbulb.com shipment. The window now is Feb-May.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

All mine are looking real healthy too Annapet. I've never had a problem with peonies, never killed one, so they have to be easy. :)

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Enjoy your peonies, annapet! Don't be alarmed if you find ants all over them, ants love them, but won't hurt them.
I have fallen in love with the coral ones I found at Nichols... does anyone grow these?

Corte Madera, CA

thanks for the well-wishes, oceangirl. i did read about the ants in one of the threads. thanks for the reminder.

kathy, had i known this about peonies (cold-loving), i would have grown them ages ago.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I've heard about the ants too and I've never had any ants on my peonies. When I told my sister I cut them for inside the house, she said she couldn't on hers because they were loaded with ants. Never had a problem with them though.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

hi, moonglow---

if you will, please tell us the names of your peonies purchased in Marin...(the hybridizers must be having some new success with peonies for warm climates...as I did not have any luck providing a dormant period for them down in L.A.) Did you order/buy any tree peonies? Aren't they the ones most likely to thrive in Zones 9 and 10, or do I have that wrong?

The first thing I did after we moved to Cincinnati was to order lots of old fashioned peonies...what a glorious flower, and pretty fashionable now, too!

Have lots of fun in your garden this weekend. t.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.