CA High Desert needs your help

Big Bear City, CA

Living in the High Desert with variations between 10 to 100 degrees and no running water, which means I need to get water delivered. I have 5 acres there and am planning on growing some native as well as other Dry plants but not sure what to look for in seed or plant.
The alkaline soil is like concrete. I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers.

Abby

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Abby,
I'm in the inland desert, in Moreno Valley. It gets anywhere from the 30's up to 117 degrees here. We have been here almost four years and this is what is thriving here.

Agaves - Century Plants
Cactus
Succulents (the hardy type)
California pepper trees
Ca poppies
Mexican Bird of Paradise this one is yellow
Pride of Barbado's (beautiful shrubs) this one is red
Aloes should do well in protected areas, and some are very hardy,

There are tons of drought tolerant trees and plants, I will check other things that we have here. This is my first visit to this forum in a long, long time.

Hope that helps..

Antoinette

Big Bear City, CA

Thank you Antoinette,

You have been very helpfull. I will look some of these things up and try them. If your temps are as you say and your getting good results then I definately have to have a go at them.

Thanks again,
Abby

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Your situation sounds like a real challenge. Be sure to take before and after pictures so we can see and be inspired!

Big Bear City, CA

You know Mary I never thought about that until you just said it... but it such a big endeavor that I think I should start taking pictures as soon as the rain lets up.

You see I work in Big Bear California, perhaps you have heard of it .. it is Southern California's ski resort to say the least. When I am here I am at about 7,000 feet, but I can go down a road for about 30 minutes and be in the middle of the Mojave Desert at about 3500 feet and that is where I actually plan to live... once I get a roof on that sucker!! LOL... anyway so I am between two platoes, but it is the desert property that I have 5 acreas of nothingness that I want to turn into somethingness. And If there is anyway I can make some kind of profit doing so (I just turned 48) and I need some kind of retirement... Then wouldn't that be a kick!!

Thanks for your help... you special.

Abby

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Abby!

I moved from Highland to Joshua Tree then to Big Bear and back to Joshua Tree. Are you out there on the back side of Big Bear? I used to travel that road often going back and forth between Big Bear and Joshua Tree while house hunting. Also my parents still have a place up there, so I still make the trip a few times a year.

The desert is definitely an acquired taste but you can make your lot beautiful! We've got 2 1/2 acres and we've kept things native on parts of the lot and "landscaped" in other parts. We've found that Mesquite and Palo Verde trees do great. The various species of Salvia (sage) that are frost hardy look really beautiful too. We are still learning which cactus can handle the cold season. Many of the Opuntia do well. We've built rock walls and planted the more delicate species behind them to protect them from the wind. We also keep some of the plastic nursery plant containers and cover some of the smaller cactus at night during the cold season. Another problem you will have is the bunnies and mice. They like to eat everything that isn't native. Aloe does really well if you put it in planters up against the house where it is warmer but they probably require more water than you will want to use. Also, rosemary and lavendar, which aren't really native but seem to like the sandy soil and the bunnies don't touch them. The blooms bring butterflies and hummingbirds.

As Antoinette said, the Mexican bird of paradise is really pretty and it attracts hummingbirds too. Also, there are so many beautiful agaves. (see photo)

Do you have cat's claw bushes? I've taken some of the bigger ones and sawed off the lower branches to make them more "tree" like. They are dormant in the winter but they do green up and bloom in the spring/summer. They can provide shade for some plants that might perish in full sun.

AND...finally, cholla (also opuntia family) thrive out here. Not all of them are desirable due to the hideous little prickly balls that tend to get stuck in your dog's feet and your hands while weeding. IWe have one species that is pretty and multiplies like crazy out here. I'll put a photo in the next reply and try to find the scientific name.

Thumbnail by katyclaire
Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's the photo. My boyfriend thinks it is cylindropuntia imbricata. We got a few cuttings last year and now have tons of it. It has beautiful pink flowers but will eventually take up a lot of room!

This message was edited Feb 25, 2005 8:53 AM

Thumbnail by katyclaire

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.