New from Keith Keppel

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

For anyone who may be interested, I'm going to post some of Keith Keppel new seedlings. These are not on the market yet, and some may never be. I do not know the parentages of these, but they are lovely.

I'll just list them as seedling #1, #2 etc...
Here is Seedling # 1

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is Seedling # 2.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is Seedling # 3.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is Seedling # 4.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is Seedling # 5. (Just opening, so it's not too good of a photo, but you can see those colors.)

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is Seedling # 6.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is Seedling # 7.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is Seedling # 8.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is Seedling # 9.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is Seedling # 10.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Now - - the big question.................... which ones of these would be your #1 and #2 favorite seedlings - - if you were to choose? :-)

I'll start.
My number one choice would be seedling #2,
and my number 2 choice would be seedling #1.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

they are all beautiful. #6 & #1.

Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

I agree on that,daylily970
Margie, #1is defined number one for me to; at the second place, for it's tempting colors 5#

Someone said to me today, it's better to buy irises from breeders out of a cooler region, these support better rain? Is that so?
Do you live in a cold or a hot regionMargie?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

They are all very pretty, but I would have to say #1 and then #9 for me.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

#1 then #9 followed closely by #3 (unusual to me at least) and I like what I see of #5 but a fully opened flower would be desired to make a final judgement.

Port Neches, TX(Zone 9a)

I think they are nice, but my choice would be # 1 and # 9. I also like color in # 5.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

John, I live in a mild to hot region. Arizona in the summer months are usually the hottest in the country. (Most of the time). But, the monsoon rains help to cool it down too.

John asked (and I quote) "Someone said to me today, it's better to buy irises from breeders out of a cooler region, these support better rain? Is that so?"

John, I'm not an expert, but you will find many bearded irises (not all) will support a lot of rain from *either* your cooler or your hotter climate breeders/iris gardens. Irises need water to grow well and perform well. Some areas are fortunate enough to get rain and lots of it, some areas are drier overall.................In that case water needs to be applied. NOTE: There are many iris varieties )but not all) that can hold up to both climates ...................because they will adapt to both. And both climates need irises that can tolerate periods of rain.

Here in Southern Arizona for instance, we receive a LOT of rain during our "Monsoon Season" (rain storms from the tropics). The irises need to hold up to all that rain, all that humidity, so as not to get rot. I've had irises under 1-2 feet of water for periods of time during these rainy seasons. I kid you not!! The irises grown and bred in this climate need to hold up to such periods of rain. Most Irises grown and bred here will grow in other climates

Irises growing in cooler regions will usually adapt to tolerate the cold and snow better - - day after day (but not all). And those irises growing in hotter climate will adapt to take the beating of the sun - - day after day (but not all).

**** Bottom line is - - most of your named bearded irises are grown in BOTH colder AND warmer climates. (If one is able to grow irises at all) And most bearded irises (but not all) adapt to their new home, especially if you give them some time to do so.

Iris Breeders (on average) use a wide variety of irises to cross with.......... that come from a variety of places (and grow in a variety of places), to ensure that the new hybrids will survive in most climates. Of course there are exceptions (those irises) that won't grow well in either climate.

Naturally some bearded irises will perform better after cold, long winter months, (like your MTB's, SDB's, - your intermediate beardeds) and some perform better with milder temperatures...... Those irises will rebloom time and time again. Arilbreds need a drier climate to grow perform well, and GOOD drainage. I try to ensure that mine are protected from too much water and have good drainage. Siberians need the cold, snowy areas to grow and bloom. Louisianas need lots, and lots, and lots of water to grow and perform well.

Possibly, what this person may have meant is that if you live in a certain area, and buy your irises within that area (where the climate is the same), those irises are already acclimated to that climate, so they won't need time to adjust to your climate.

Don't be afraid to get irises from anywhere - - you'll be surprised at how they can adapt (but not all). You may have to "baby them" at first, but I find once adapted they will grow and do OK.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

#1 and #6!

Yucaipa, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, Wow!!

Definitley #1 & #2.

Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

Thanks Margie for your wonderfull reply, i copy it and saved because its very learnful!
Thanks again.
John

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

They are all gorgeous! I am a little partial to #5

Thanks for sharing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.