cleome germination

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have had trouble getting cleome seeds to germinate the last 2 summers. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I had them a few years back, and as I recall, they reseeded everywhere, so why can't I get them started? Should I sow the seeds in the fall?

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

I always find seedlings from the past year in the spring- so I think it would be a good idea to try that. Not very scientific of me, just an observation. I don't know what their requirements are.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Wood,
I have never tried to germinate them either as they're such prolific re-seeders. In the spring, I would just sprinkle seeds where I wanted them to grow. They seem to thrive on very little care at all, IMO.

Should the seeds be covered or left bare?

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Wood,
I have never covered mine.

My SIL has tons of them in her yard and she just lets them re-seed on their own.

OK, I'll try again...

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

My propagating guide says cleome seeds need to be scattered and not covered. after seeding they need to be stratified ( Place seeded container in a plastic bad and place in the refrigerator for two weeks. The planting mediun needs to be moist. These requirements are all met when the plants drop their seeds and winter over thereby reseeding thenselves.
George

Well, I suspected something like that. Last year I scattered some in the fall and again in the spring, but no luck. We have a lot of rain here so I thought they were staying moist enough, but nothing happened. Maybe the seed wasn't viable.
I got the "solo" variety from someone here at DG, and the packet was a year old. I noticed that when I did have some mature plants that reseeded a few years back, they only did it one year. I didn't tend to them and they were stunted and didn't bloom. The next year none came up from 2 years before, so I guess that suggests that they are only good for one year.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Woodspirit I had the same problem with my Cleome seeds last summer, I bought mine from 'Seed Saver Exchange' and I thought maybe I recieved a bad batch because everythng else I bought worked out great, except I killed the 'Aunt Molly's Ground Cherry Seedling's' . Thanks for asking about it. Cleome's are my absolute favorite annual. I've revieved some Cleome seed this winter from Weezingreens.

Thanks George for the starting info.......OMG! My hubby is gonna think I've gone crazy putting containers of dirt in the refridgerator - LOL!!!

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

How about sowing the Cleome's (and other seeds) using the 'Winter Sow' method??? Here's the link I found from another thread: HYPERLINK@www.wintersown.org]

I'm going to winter sow some of mine as soon as I get the seeds.....
And then I might spring sow some also, after having them in refrigerator for awhile...

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

My SIL would get a laugh out of you guys who can't grow cleome. She got some seeds about 4 years ago and planted them that spring. Now they are literally everywhere in her lawn and beds. She is no gardener and does absolutely nothing to them as far as care goes. In fact she's trying to no avail to get rid of them. You know what they say one mans weed is another mans treasure. LOL!!!!

On the other hand I got some seed from her a couple years ago and so far mine haven't turned into a pest. They [so far] seem to just come back in the same general area. Her yard is different from mine, so maybe location plays a big factor.

I wish I knew what cultivar[s] she has so you guys could try growing them b/c hers are sooo prolific. If someone still can't grow them this year, remind me in the fall and I'll collect seeds from hers and I'll be happy to share with you all. That is- if she lets them live til they make seeds- LOL!!!

Great! and maybe you can bring some of her plants to the Georgia Round-up?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Woodspirit--pls. be sure to let us know how your Cleome does using the Winter Sowing method. thanks. t.

OK, I'll try to remember, lol.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Cleome has been one of the only things that I never could grow from seed. I tried cold treatment, no cold treatment, etc. I believe it was Poppysue that said they like a fluctuating temp. I put mine in the fridge for a bit then left them sit for a bit then sowed them in a plastic box with drain holes and a lid. I stuck them outside for the winter. I took the lid off when we were passed the heavy snow and left them be. I FINALLY got some darn cleomes! LOLl Now why is it so hard for some of to grow what has become a weed to others?? We try TOO hard. :)

I winter-sowed some today.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

wood,
thats the spirit!

Copy good old nature[speaking of fluctuating temps] and those things should be going crazy for ya come summer.

I hope so. I wanted to try some of the "solo" variety, which is shorter, but haven't gotten the seed yet.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Interested to hear how it all turns out, Woodspirit. Beautiful plants :)

I will try to remember to post the results of the winter sowing. I am also going to try freshly boughten seeds in the spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.