(Paeonia rockii)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Paeonia rockii

Photographed at Kew Gardens, London

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Oh, yes. That's a keeper. Do you remember if the blooms are regular size or smaller, Todd?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Regular size....I've never seen that one for sale locally or in any Canadian mail order nurseries but it should be hardy here.

Oh it's a tree peony!! Here are some hybrids:
http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tprockii.htm

Oops-Not hybrids, close relatives.

Here is more info and more species:
http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tprockii.htm

Didn't post right, sorry.

Let's see if this works. Hope so, there's a price list for US and Canada.

http://www.hillkeep.ca/ts%20paeonia.htm

Zone 6. Bah humbug.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Protect it in winter and I'd say it would survive in zone 5.

Even zone 5 things don't always survive here. All it takes is a month of 20 below. I try to buy zone 4 plants whenever I can.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I never thought Mass was that cold. We might hit a day or two at -20 but it's been years since we were colder than -5 F! That must be why my Skimmia (zone 7) has survived 6 years with no protection!

Our air temperature can get to 0 or - 5 but with windchill it gets to -20. Last year it was for WEEKS-all the leaves fell off the rhodies, many people lost butterfly bushes, well established roses! I had lots of winterkill in the rugosa shrubs and rose of sharons. It doesn't happen often but it did happen last year and I'm sure I remember several winters in the 70's like that and a few in the 80's. If we have a lot of snow, it helps insulate the plants, but if we don't it's very destructive.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Normally we have loads of snow...the soil in my garden has not even froze in the last few winters. This year is different. We have practically no snow on the ground and many nights have dropped to 15 F so the frost has gone deep. So far, we have not been colder 10 F so I don't see any damage. I expect I may have lost my Crocosmia and possibly Incarvillea, as both of them don't like to have long periods of frozen ground. Meanwhile, wind is forever blowing it seems. Right now the gusts are to 40 mph!

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

One of my desert island plants but I've never seen it for sale for anything less than £100. A magnificent plant.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Well I've never seen it for sale in Canada for any price....the Canadian equivalent to your price would be about $250 Canadian! OUCH!

lanzhou, China

Subject£º2006 latest price list of Gansu Tree Peony
Dear sir or madam,
We are lucky to be told that your company mainly engages in Tree Peony trading. We would like to take this opportunity to introduce our nursery to you.
Located in Lanzhou, Gansu Province, the Peoples Republic of China, Gansu Zhongchuan Peony (Tree Peony & Peony) Nursery, focusing on researching, cultivating and promoting Chinese peony seedlings. The well-known Gansu Rockii Tree Peony, has annual capacity of 100000 grafted-seedlings and 300000 tree-seedlings.
Please visit our website http://www.paeoniarockii.com for more details on seedlings selling in spring of 2006.
Gansu Rockii Tree Peony, featuring for cold-resistance, drought-resistance and saline-alkali resistance, can live outdoor through the winter (-40¡æ) without any artificial protective measures. It can easily be cultivated in low-temperature regions. It likes fertile soil and is unaware of too much water. In addition, it is capable to grow and blossom outside even under server drought conditions.
As for other products you may be interested in, please refer to Herbaceous peonies, Gansu Dahlia and Kushui Rose Oil. You can place an order for you prefer from now.
For customers intending to place a big order of P.rockii, we will offer the sample (usually 2 seedlings) in advance without charging money. But they will have to pay the freight. We strongly recommend that one of the suitable times for cultivating Gansu Paeonia rockii is from August to December.
High-quality products, reasonable prices as well as the best services will be provided as long as you contact us.
We are looking forward to your reply.
Best regards,
International Sales Department of Gansu Zhongchuan Peony Nursery

This message was edited May 17, 2006 11:43 PM

This message was edited May 17, 2006 11:49 PM

Thumbnail by mapingping800

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.