Lychee Tree Disease

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10b)

During the hurricanes last summer, my newly planted lychee tree was surrounded with water for about 2 weeks (actually the whole house was surrounded by water for 2 weeks, but that's another story). I'm having 2 problems: the leaves have brown tips, including most (not all) of the new growth since August. Secondly. most of the leaves are blotchy light green/medium green, like the chlorophyll has leached out or something. My local nursery suggested 2 applications of micronutrients on the leaves and bark (which we did) and 2 sprayings below the tree of root starter (which we did). It didn't seem to help much. Is there anything I can do? Also, will the already-formed leaves ever turn dark green, or will I have to wait until new growth to eliminate the blotchiness.

Thanks.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Since no one else has replied yet, I'll toss in my speculative comment from left field up here in Illinois. I've never grown Lychee, but many trees sustain root damage in waterlogged soils and the symptoms can be just as you describe. Assuming the flooding was not salt water, it might grow out of it this next spring. You probably should ask a local expert (NOT the nursery that sold you fertilizer!) if no one from this forum knows. Try your state university extension office.
Guy S.

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks, StarhillForest. I'll check out our university ag office.

Someone else (different nursery) told me that lychees look bedraggled from time to time, especially in waterlogged soil, and the tree will get over it next spring.... so your left field may be right on target!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.