Looking for container seed sources

Boulder Creek, CA(Zone 9a)

Please share your favorite vendors of seeds for growing in containers. I'm looking for dwarf or mini veggie seeds especially.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Try www.containerseeds.com. The owner, Pat Meadows, writes a very informative monthly newsletter.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

duh, i had no idea there were seeds made for growing in containers. what is the difference please?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

No real difference...Pat and her husband are slightly disabled so getting around in standard garden beds has become a bit overwhelming. For a number of years they, and other growers with similar needs, have been carefully selecting varieties that will grow and produce happily in the more confined environment of containers. This is also a plus for people whose available topsoil is thin with solid rock underneath as it is in much of the Texas Hill Country. Most of these varieties will grow okay in the open garden beds, but tend to thrive without the competition of larger more rampant varieties. Among the choices are some of the determinant tomatoes and bush-type melons such as Minnesota Midget. Pat's newsletters explain the concept better than I can.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

I know what you're thinking, Frank! LOL Don't worry, you don't need to order special tomato seeds for the self-watering containers you just bought. :-)

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

yuska - thanks for the info

pete2 - thank goodness i was'nt even thinking along those lines. lol

Boulder Creek, CA(Zone 9a)

...if you like plants as gifts, check out ornamental peppers at tomatogrowers.com. Seems like they would be ideal for growing in a nice terra cotta pot and giving away... early if I have to. Always could observe St. Nicholas Day for holiday gift giving (Dec. 6) or when ever the plants peak...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.