Peoney lover's sale

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Gilbert H. Wild and son up to 50% off.Thanks,Jody

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

But can you plant peonies now ??? (I guess I can keep them in the basement, eh ?)

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

It might be the reason they are priced so reasonable is they aren't shipping until fall.Or do you plant them anytime?I don't know very much about them.I have five, I got from trades last year.I don't even know what colors they are or even what shape the flowers are.It will be fun,I hope they get a bloom or two this year so I can identify them.I like big fat flowers of any kind.If they have fragrance all the better.lol.Jody

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

haha... big fat flowers, I like that. I'm the same way, suppose thats why I like the big, fat flowers of peonies and hydrangeas. :)

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Big fat dalhias and roses and iris and giant spider daylilies.LOL.
I was getting carried away for a minute.
Along with big fat me.Jody

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I bought some peonies on sale last fall. They are still in the black plastic cans they came in. When should I put them in the ground? They are outside on a potting bench. Should I be storing them somewhere else?

gwen

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Probably at least the frig.
Damped not wet don't let them dry out completly.Even wraped in damp newspapers.Make sure you leave a small part of the bag open so you don't get mold.
Jody
edited to add

This message was edited Jan 20, 2005 3:31 PM

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi, most herbaceous peony do best if planted in the fall. You can plant in the spring, but the plant usually won't bloom till the next spring. Peony eyes should be planted no deeper than 2 inches deep in the North and shallower the farther south you go. Make sure you plant your peony in a well drained site, because peony do not like to sit in water. You can go to either the Heartland Peony Society's web page or to the American Peony Society's web page and read more about peony. The Heartland site has a nice database of peony pictures to help one try to identify the peony you may have inherited in your garden.

www.americanpeonysociety.org/

www.peonies.org

Have fun!

Diann
IA Z5a

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Ticker

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

If you are going to buy peony in the spring of the year, try to get it already potted up and leave it in the pot until fall and then plant it. If you're buying the bags of them from Wally-world or such, you might want to pot them up and plant them in the fall... I got several bags of Lavender Lady and Sarah Bernhardt from Wally-world last spring to use as filler plants in perennial beds. I potted them up for fall planting, but unfortunately I had too many nieces that "needed" peonies and so they went to new homes. :)

You might want to look at peony farms like Song Sparrow, Hollingsworth Peony and The Peony Garden of Center Point Iowa. Song Sparrow is the Klehm family, famous for hybridizing peonies. Hollingsworth Peony is also a hybridizer and doing interesting things with Itoh peonies. And The Peony Garden of Center Point Iowa has a lot of the Tischler hybreds and some hybreds that Mac has done with Mr. Tischler. Here are some links to those sites.

http://www.songsparrow.com/

http://www.hollingsworthpeonies.com/

http://www.peonygarden.net/

Have fun!

Diann
IA Z5a

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thats the way I've always taken care of my peonies. My reasoning was that I wanted to get it in real dirt as soon as I could and then baby it, the first year before putting it in the ground in the fall. I'm not sure why stores sell these in the spring and less in the fall, when its better planting time for them. But then again, I've always wondered why you don't see more trees and bushes offered in the fall, for that is when I want to plant them. I think the stores just can't sell them to the people that have, at that point, their fill of gardening. The nurseries told me they sell most of their bushes and flowers when they are in bloom, I can see why.. its so tempting to buy something when its showing its best side. I have some new peonies that will be in pots until the fall, it will give me plenty of time to figure out where to put them. :)

Corte Madera, CA

kathy, this is so awesome since my peonies are all in POTS right now. they look very happy, btw.

=)

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ticker .. a big ol 'hearty' welcome to DG to ya !!

- Magpye

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.