EarthBox Quantity Discounts Are Available

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi Folks! I started a thread over at the tomato forum that some of you may be interested in if you like to garden in EarthBoxes. Check it out:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/477865/

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

In light of the very disappointing news we've received about our pending orders, maybe container folks would like to make their own: http://www.josho.com/Earthbox.htm

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Yuska!!!

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Here is the one I made

Thumbnail by shelley1962
Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Inside

Total cost $9

Thumbnail by shelley1962
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

OK shelley,
I'm gonna be the first to ask.... can you give directions to those of us who are mechanically challenged?? LOL!!!

THANKS!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I would be interested in directions also.
Thanks!

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Sure...it was super easy. Lots of links have been posted here and on the tomato thread...

Bought two totes the same size.
One tote was cut so it was only about 7 inches high.
We cut a hole in the center of it, flipped it upside down and put the basket in it. Screwed the basket down
Set it inside of the second tote.
Put the lid on the second tote
Cut a PVC pipe 3 inches taller than the tote and cut an angle on one end
Cut a hole for the PVC Pipe in the lid and the inside tote so the pipe went all the way to the bottom

Hope that makes sense

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you very much for sharing Shelley!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

shelley,
You gave the directions sooo easy to follow that even a dunce like me can do it!
DH will be making me one soon.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Shellydar
They look good ! Have you used them yet ? How do they hold the soil ? Do the sides bow out ?

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

forgot to mention that we drilled a bunch of small holes in the upside down box for drainage

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

how much did the whole thing cost?

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Total cost $9

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

what is the basket for and where do you get one? what is the size of each tote? thanks.

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

the way i understand it is that the basket allows the plant roots to grow through to the fortified water. The basket I used was half of a coated wire trashcan purchased at the Dollar Store for $1. I've seen people on the forums use all kinds of things.
Both totes were 10 gallons.

there is a lot of information about this with some good constuction links on the tomato forum also.

here is a link to the thread:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/478460/

This message was edited Jan 23, 2005 1:02 PM

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks again Shelleybar for the great information.
Patti

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

shelleydar - thanks forthe info.

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

found 18 gallon totes on sale at Wal Mart for $2.93

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I am joining this discussion very late but tell me about Earth Boxes. I have visited their site so is the deal that they produce extraordinary plants?

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Just wondering on how your homemade boxes are doing.

I would like to see the results also ! Would be great if they work ? We could save some money and make gardening easier...

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

T - Just saw some Sterlite 50 gallon ones at Big Lots that were high. Not much longer than an EB, and just a little wider, but very high. I was looking at them and thinking 10 gallon or maybe even larger water reservoir. They were $18.00 bucks though. I figured by the time I got done I'd have as much in it as I would in the real thing, and then it may not work as well. So I decided to just stick with the real ones for now.

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

this pic of a tomato plant was taken a couple weeks ago, 6 weeks from transplanting.

Thumbnail by handhelpers

That's the secret ! Not to try to make big boxes but small individual ones so the weight of the soil doesn't make them bow out. CONGRATULATIONS. Please keep us posted but make a new thread such as "Homemade EBs."

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.