January 9, 2005

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

So, this is a busy time of year. And the weather has been to say the least, trying.. I think I almost buried my tractor in the over the knee deep mud.. I needed help getting it out. There is nowhere to feed the cattle that they aren't in mud after feeding out of the hay rings in one area for a few days. Our weather has been changing back and forth from below freezing with bitter windchill, to sleet , snow or like Friday when we had a surprise snow squall. I get home from work way after dark... When I checked the cattle Thursday night there is a sheet of ice over puddles of water not yet frozen with snow on top. I was glad to have a cell phone in my pocket in case of trouble. Today, was even more confusing with the snow melting and beautiful sunshine. I think we have another snow system on the way though.

My friends brought me a bottle calf today. Her mother didn't seem to want her. They even got the Mom in a stanchion so the calf could nurse. The calf had been buried in mud and the Mom didn't even seem to have enough sense to get her to a dry spot to sleep. They brought her to me still with cakes of dried mud on her.. She is mostly angus ,, but has a tiny spot of white on her underbelly. and She was hungry when she got here. I gave her lots of milk... and she will probably get another bottle before I go to bed tonight. She is full of life and I gave her lots of attention.

I hope to get all my seed orders out in the next couple of days.

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!