bud drop on oncidiums

Upper Black Eddy, PA

I've had a few oncidiums develop spikes but the buds shrivelled and died before blooming. I'm guessing this might be a temperature problem, but am really not sure. The plants are in my greenhouse. The humidity stays above 60% but on a few cold nights recently my propane heater wasn't up to the challenge, and the temps got down to about 50F. Could this be the problem? Thanks.

Pat in PA

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Cool temps certainly can lead to bud drop, especially if the species in question is a warm grower. Meanwhile, some Oncidiums are cool growers so 50 F should not do them any harm. What species/hybrid oncidium are you growing?

Upper Black Eddy, PA

Unfortunately, I don't know. These are plants that we're sold at half-price after they bloomed, and some cast-offs from a friend. None were labelled. I was thinking about the temperature as being a factor because the plants have bloomed for me when they were living in high humidity and higher temps.(about 70F) in a south-facing bathroom in my house. Just guessing, though.

Upper Black Eddy, PA

I did some reading and I think the bud drop may not necessarily be due to a temperture that was too low but to a substantial temperature fluctuation for a few days. I've changed the settings on the propane heater and will be more vigilant in the future!

Pat

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.