Looking to expand collection

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I have been growing paphs and phals for about two years now. I have had, what I would consider, great success as I have had multiple blooms produced on nearly each one of my plants. I grow my orchids under grow lights (14-16 hours) at about 70 degress and around 50% humidity.

I am really wanting to try my hands at oncidiums and catts, possibly dendrobiums as well. What are the differences in temps and light duration/intensity with these orchids as compared to phals and paphs? Any information would be helpful. I am not wanting to make MAJOR changes/investments in my equipment set-up, but I am willing to construct a separate and similar set-up for the new orchids if needed. Thanks!

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

The smaller cattleyas (mini-catts) do well under lights (there are some growers specialize in minicatts), as do some of the oncidium alliance and intergenerics (e.g., the common yellow dancing lady, gower ramsey). I'm lumping together oncidiums, beallaras, miltassias, miltonias, etc. The trick with these is that some get too large to grow underlights (e.g., I have a Beallara that takes up a space 4ft square), some need a temperature drop in the fall to bloom (like many phals), and some need cooler temperatures year round (eg Vyuls.). Some also bloom much better with lots of light in the summer.

The dendrobiums you find most frequently in general stores (hard cane evergreen ones with a tall flower spike) need a lot more light, as do standard size cattleyas. If you can summer them outside with some sun, then these are relatively easy as well.

The Dendrobium genus is massive and they grow in an incredible range of conditions. Some have canes 6+ feet tall, and others have succulent leaves the size of a rice grain. A group of them from Papua New Guinea grow well under lights but you would probably have to mail order.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.