What is your secret to keeping your iris weed free?

Mc Call Creek, MS

Anybody got any good tricks to keep weeds down other than Treflan? I'm hoping for a magic bullet on broadleaved weeds.

Thanks for any help!

Kay

Several heavy applications of corn glutten meal.

Works every without using any chemicals!

This message was edited Apr 19, 2009 4:59 PM

Yazoo City, MS(Zone 7b)

Corn gluten? Is that what it's sold as? What is it? This isn't like chops, is it?
Just a little dumb tonight!
Thanks!
Yvonne

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I've never heard of that! That is so amazing!! Thanks for sharing that. I gave up years ago that there was something out there that could keep weeds out that didn't hurt/affect the iris.
Margie

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Do you wait until they are up! Can I use this on my whole garden without hurting the other plants? Thanks
Bonnie

Give me a moment here and I will pull up information for all of you from my notes.

Here you go-

From this web site-

http://www.eartheasy.com/grow_lawn_care.htm

This message was edited Apr 19, 2009 4:57 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I grow a lot of grasses so I have to use a commercial pre-emergent that I buy at the nursery. It does not stay in the ground so you can plant seeds at another time. I can't remember how long. Anyway, you do have to use this before the weeds come up or it's useless. It sounds like the corn gluten works after the weeds come up. However, the Johnny Jump Up's seem impervious. I guess if you've got to have a weed, that's not so bad.

I also love two tools. One looks like a flat hammer with a point at the tip. The other looks kind of like a snake tongue, split at the end and only about an inch wide. It's great for getting into small spaces. I only weed in damp ground.

Corn Glutten Meal is good but it isn't that good as it won't work if the weed is already up and gracing you with its presence. I normally use a stamp licker bottle from an office supply store (the old sponge tipped shoe polish style bottle) and get those little broad leaf buggers with a dab of RoundUp here and there. The sponge is great because it keeps the chemical exactly where I want it. Using the stamp licker thingie with dabs of RU usually shrivels them up mighty fine within about 10 days.

I have one of those snake tongue tools too. What is that thing called?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.