Broken flower spike

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

My orchid had a flower spike, it got broken. Will it make another one this year? Is it possible for the flower spike to grow a new plant? I've never had one before and I was so happy to see that it was going to bloom, and so disappointed when it got broken. The plant is growing in a cool greenhouse, temp stays between 50 and 57. It has been in the same pot for at least a year, should I replant it?

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

What kind of Orchid is it?

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I've been told it is a phalenopsis.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

It depends on where it is broken. You are probably in luck. Many times they spike again from a lower node.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I hope that's the case. The spike was about 8-10 inches long and only the last 2 inches broke off so there would be lots of lower nodes. Hoping for the best here....... thanks.

Big Bear City, CA

Please let us know if it re-spikes?

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I will, I'll be very happy if it does.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Update: New flower spike forming, it is half an inch long, comming out from the opposite side of the plant between a couple of leaves. This is exciting. How long will it take it to bloom?

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

And more good news. The broken spike looks like it is making 2 branches so maybe I will have a total of 3! The broken tip is in moist peat moss, still looking green on the end after all this time, maybe there is hope.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.