U.S. Climate Prediction Center........"The Perfect Storm"

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

is saying a "Perfect Storm" is supposed to occur over the U.S. Heartland over the next few days. It could be a once-in-a-generation onslaught of the Arctic Express (courtesy of Alaska and Canada), Pineapple Express (warm, wet storms sent by Hawaii) and an unnamed system moving up from the Gulf of Mexico......all converging somewhere over the midwest.

Kelly Redmond, the deputy director of the West Regional Climate Center, stated "Somebody is in for something pretty darn interesting."

The converging storms are being steered by high-pressure ridges off Alaska and Florida and are part of a temporary change in world climate conditions, said Mr. O'Lenic, Operations Chief at the Climate Prediction Center.

Y'all take care down there!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Also meant to add....

Mike Wallace, a University of Washington atmospheric scientist, believes "something wicked this way comes. It all fits together rather nicely...there's going to be weather in the headlines this weekend, that's for sure."

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

UH-OH.
You dear folks better stock up on firewood, long-johns, candles, milk and bread.

We Georgians dash to the stores and buy milk and bread- never understood the milk part though. Here we frequently get ice storms that knock out the electricity so how do folks keep the milk ? Putting it outside in the snow?

Seriously I hope the storm isn't as bad as expected and everyone stays safe- and warm!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh Gosh!!!!! The local forecast said a warming trend in store for us this weekend. Sure hope they don't change it!!!

However, I must add that I shouldn't be surprised if we get pounded here. DH travels to a trade show every January out in Southern Cal. The last 2 years we've had major snow/ice storms while he's gone and I'm stuck doing the shoveling and salting of the drive and sidewalk. We had our snow/ice yesterday so I figured I got lucky this year. Now I'm wondering......... off to check the National Weather Service site.

I'm in need of firewood and groceries so I guess I'll be out tomorrow with the little one to stock up, just in case.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Lilypon, can you post a link for that data?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I took it from our "National Post" Jan 6, 2005 edition........a Canadian National Newspaper. Saw the article when I was on Reference Desk. I know BC has been suffering under much colder than normal temps right now and when I saw Tropicman's posting of ice rain in KS thought it prolly was pretty accurate.

It also mentioned the American Pacific Northwest will be much colder than normal as the system passes over.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Looks like the rain that Gardenwife is having right now is also one of the systems refered to above.

Lilypon, (Pam?) I looked at NOAA and the Weather Channel and didn't see any reference. Yours actually is probably more accurate... they like to keep us somewhat like mushrooms, LOL.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'd scan the article for you but my DD took it back. :(

You've got my name right Darius. :)

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

We watched a movie a while back about similar circumstances. Different storm fronts converging on Chicago. Made of a real mess & quite a movie.

Well, Lilypon (Pam)... Old Timers hasn't fully succeeded here, LOL!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOL ;)

This was Edmonton's (Alberta, Canada) storm of the century this summer: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/443981/

When I saw the article regarding the States and didn't see any postings about it I thought I'd take a chance and post it. I hope it's wrong but the systems are out there. :S

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

This is the best info I could find on the long-range (7 day) forecast for the plains. Looks like next Wed. night - Thursday could be the next front with arctic air coming in. Snow/rain for Kansas City area. If they are off by a few degrees we could have some good snow is my guess.

Oh, my... I remember those posted photos of the hail... it was amazing!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh now that was a good post.....no link! here ya go....
http://weather.gov/forecasts/graphical/sectors/conusWeek.php

Darius - hope you're doing well. Sending an email in moment.

Gosh, my area keeps staying in the mid-50's daytime range, FAR too warm by 30 degrees. I wonder what Feb. and March will bring? Probably nasty.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I think anytime you have an earthquake that moves the earth a little off its axis,there's gonna be heck to pay somewhere if not everywhere in the world,and if that's not bad enough,ice melting at the north and south pole,raising the ocean levels,which plays a role in weather,then the El Nino,this year,causing the heavy rains in southern california,cool weather,and heavy snows there having.
Most of us had mild winters and cool summers,plenty rain,Floridas hurricanes,I had a funny feeling something was gonna happen the winter.
My own personal opinion,all the gas,oil, and water taken out of the earth,something has to give,and its earthquakes and Volcaneos,which in turn changes the weather.
Don

Tropicman (Don) I think you are right. Doesn't seem logical we can pump all those millions and millions of gallons or cubic feet out from under us without some ramifications.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes and we also must remember the center of the earth is supposedly a huge mass of gases under heat and pressure,looking for a weak spot to escape to the surface,which isn't always such a bad thing,if you live in Hawaii!!!!!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Here's the article......not very readable tho.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,it was a doosey,hope the sun,shines and warms up, 5 days is enough,of cold and ice,need to be able to get outside and cut that stuff up.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Don I'm not sure if it's arrived yet...the Arctic system is still in BC and our weather channel is showing it's now entering Washington as well. Happenstance in California is getting the rains....that might be the *Pineapple Express* the article was refering to.

This message was edited Jan 8, 2005 3:20 PM

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I believe it is the storm that is due to arrive in the Midwest on Wed-Thurs of this week coming up. Get ready, Don......more to come.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Actually here's a link to the article......

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/10567395.htm

After reading it, it sounds more like there is a 1-2-3 punch in most of the western 2/3 of the country due next week. Not necessarily that all 3 storms are colliding in one location; rather that they'll be hitting different areas simultaneously causing a bad day or two of weather nearly nation-wide.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

It said somebody was going to get something darn interesting,didn't like the sound of that!!!
Hope the pineapple express runs out of steam!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.