Thursday, Jan. 6th

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We are now well into January and it looks as tho the bad storm has passed us by for now. K.C area got it badly in some areas. Other areas are ok. A friend said her sister in Lee's Summit reported that her block was the only one without power for many hours.

I'm really enjoying my new counter top oven. Did I tell you that the first one didn't work? I took it back and got a different model and make. Broke my heart. I had been drooling over that particular oven for months. The new one is digital and has lots more ventilation which is what we think was the problem with the therostat on the first one. It couldn't cool down enough to recycle properly. This GE one is a touch smaller than the B& D but still holds all the casserole dishes and loaf pans I need it to for everyday use. I just can't see heating up a 30' oven for one small casserole(the mainstay of our diet). I even found some air insulated cookie sheets the right size for it. It can handle a 12" pizza too. Not that we eat much pizza, but that means it is nice and deep as well as taller than most countertop ovens. Of course it toasts, broils, etc. I made bread in it last night.

The wild birds are eating a LOT of sunflower seeds now. But I don't think we are feeding as many as we did last year. Maybe as word gets out more will come. We have a large variety of species coming again tho. All I feed is black oil sunflower seeds because Starlings don't like them so they don't show up by the hundreds-literally-to eat everything and run off all the smaller and less aggressive birds. I even feed the poultry in the bird house most of the time to discourage them from the birdyard. A couple times tho I have surprised some that had gone into the bird house to eat.

The baby degus are growing really fast. One looks as tho it could almost be an angora one. I have never read about those happening so I'm sure the hair length will even out eventually. But it will probably be more furry than others. I think they will be ready for the pet shops about the week before Valentine day. I'm handling them almost daily to get them use to that so they won't be so wild when new people get them. We gotten them both ways and some have never tamed down very much. They are also rather vocal when upset!

I've only gotten 3 or 4 seed catalogs so far. I think the companies gave up on me since I rarely order from them. Mostly Kris and I go together and she just brings me my order when we get together. I mostly order from Henry Field and do have that catalog. We need to go over our seed wants so she can order early. I don't want that many seeds this year tho. I also have a large 3 qt. oval Ultra 21 casserole for her to replace the one she just broke last week. Ultra 21 is no longer available so she has to rely on finding ones some one will give up. I only use this one about 3 times a year so she may as well have it to use. It was her favorite casserole dish.

Winter is the most boring season of the year for me and I will really be glad when it is over. I just want to get out and work in the dirt again. I found some peony roots lying outside on top of the ground yesterday. They just got overlooked. I will pot them up. There were some other roots there too that I haven't identified yet. Will pot them up too and just wait and see what I have. Maybe more peonies. I found some hostas that had the same fate on Christmas Day afternoon. They are now in pots on the front porch. All of these look very much alive!

I'll go fold clothes and do some laundry now. Big thrill. LOL. GOD bless and keep each and all of you.

This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!