NOAA Report on El Nino

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Here's a link to the update:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/index.html

Carol

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Very interesting info,does the weather start its pattern from the warm waters of the pacific,off South America,or the warm Atlantic waters off the coast of Africa?
Or does it start from the magnetic draw from North or South poles,developing winds?
Is there more currents other than the warm gulfstream?
Where does the weather start at??

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The weather they are monitoring are conditions in the central Pacific along the Equator, along the SA coast and throughout the Pacific. If you click on their graphs and models you can see the MJO, the Kelvin Waves etc. - waaaaay over my head...but it has to do with the warming of the SST (subsurface temps) in the Pacific.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Mine too!!!
But the funny things weather seems to repeat itself most the time,such as the monsooms,in Asia,St Anna winds in California,these are yearly events.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yes...and these events (Santa Anas, monsoons etc.) seem to be driven by seasonal climatic changes...like we have Trade Winds etc. The wierd stuff happening in the world like El Ninos, Perfect Storms etc. are, I think, driving by small anomalies that domino into major stuff....

Weather is fascinating!

As DH used to sing on the boat "Whether its cold or whether it's hot we're going to have weather, whether or not".... LOL

An old sailor friend of ours was asked "where do you get your weather" and he answered, "Looking out my porthole".

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a great song!!
Yep,to get the best weather forecast,look out your window for more or less!
Sunshine, wind , rain or snow,your weather,you won't have to quess!
Thanks,trade winds was the word I was searching for,you only here that term,south of the equator,and on the old movies,like Erroll Flynn and Muitney
and the Bounty!,Love that stuff!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Well, we live and die by them here! There are dry trades and wet trades. Sometimes in the S. Pacific (they are SEasterlies there) they sound so benign and they get strong and really stink!!. Rough seas!

Yes...we are kinda Somerset Maughm (sp?)ish here...

Eh, matey.... LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Blow ye winds in the morning
Blow ye winds hi ho!
Sorry got meself carried away fer a momment!!!...LOL

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/10567395.htm

This message was edited Jan 8, 2005 1:06 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.