tropical vine

vancleave, MS(Zone 9a)

I need to I.D. a green tropical vine that has 12"x18" leaves and a broom stick size stem that is about to bloom. That is all the description I can offer. If you can get me close I believe I can figure it out.
Thanks,
Lynn

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Hi Lynn
Where are you in Vancleve. I am in Ocean Spring. We have lots of friends that we go visit there. Only 15 to 20 minutes away

This message was edited Jan 6, 2005 7:04 PM

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Is your vine inside or outside? Are the leaves dark green, light green? smooth or fuzzy?

vancleave, MS(Zone 9a)

HI Calalily-Since I assume the vine is tropical it is presently inside, has been for the past 3 weeks. We got freezing weather over the Christmas holidays. The leaves are a medium green and are slick. The plot thickens.
Lynn

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Can you post a picture of it?

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Look at the Monstera family.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

If it's going to bloom now, it could be an Easterlily vine, I can not for the life of me think of the botanical name right now(I know it, lol my brain is not working!) They have very large, medium green leaves and bloom in the winter. Of course it could very well be a Monstera too(I forget that they bloom, so didn't even think of that one till Budgielover mentioned it)
The name of the Easterlily vine is Beaumontia grandiflora. Don't know why I couldn't remember that earlier!

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 1:28 PM

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

maybe if we get a chance to meet first I can go over and get a pic of it to post. Going to Trish's on monday though.

vancleave, MS(Zone 9a)

I was trying to avoid adding the pix but maybe it's not as difficult as I imagined. I got three pixs so I'll try one per reply starting with the whole plant.

Thumbnail by lynn8ms
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

wow what a vine. Really cool looking

vancleave, MS(Zone 9a)

O.K., that was a bit slow but I'll add a leaf here.

Thumbnail by lynn8ms
vancleave, MS(Zone 9a)

One more, what I think (hope) is the start of a bloom

Thumbnail by lynn8ms
Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I keep thinking its some type of philodendron
maybe http://www.denverplants.com/foliage/html/phiredem.htm
http://www.denverplants.com/foliage/html/phicong.htm

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 7:38 PM

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

That doesn't look like a vine to me either. Those are air roots coming off of the stem. I agree it looks more like a philodendron or houseplant of some kind. Did you try to post the pictures over at the Identification Forum? Those guys are pretty sharp over there as well.

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Hi Lynn,
It's been a long time and another website since I have heard from you. LOL!!!! I am pretty sure it is a philodendron. I have it, but do not know the name of it. It is very prolific, and easy to propagate. There is also another one with a purplish stem and green leaves. I have that one also, but no name for either one. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Janet

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I was going to say the same thing that it's a type of philo.
:) Donna

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Looks like one of the self heading Philos....but not one I know.

vancleave, MS(Zone 9a)

Hey Janet-Good to hear from you, it has been a while. How did the gingers do for you (white domestica)? I've added a few since you were up(some real beauties) and have a long list for this spring. As you know I'm a sucker for gingers. I'm trying to I.D. the philo. so Paula can enter it in the Festival of Flowers in Mobile (March). I've never been to that Festival and am looking forward to it. Also, I'll be working at the MG's booth at the Herb Fest in O.S. so come by and I'll have some gingers for you.

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Lynn,
It is great to hear from you again, I thought you'd disappeared, it has been so long. I go to the Herb Fest every year, but I am not sure who is MG???
I have gotte foliage on the domestica, but no flowers, hopefully this year?????
Hope to have some gingers for you as well, will have to get with you to see what you have gotten compared to what I have to offer.
Take care.
Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.