Recommendations for Conifer Sources???

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I've used the watchdog for this, but thought a few of you out there might be able to help me with your personal recommendations and thoughts.

I've purchased quite a few of the more unusual conifer varieties from mail-order and internet sources, but usually at great expense for what you get. Forestfarm has a wonderful selection, but the shipping of a decent-sized plant from OR to VA is prohibitive (except for one gotta-have-it pine that cost me $70 with the shipping!) Does anyone have recommendations for places I might find these more uncommon varieties (in a size I can enjoy without potting it up for the next 5 years) without spending an arm and a leg?

Thanks!

Perry, MI

Hi Mickgene,

The reason conifers are so expensive to purchase is that they are slow growing. The longer it takes to produce something, obviously the more it will cost you. Someone does have to ensure that a nursery stays afloat which means they need to receive some income for their efforts. The cooler they are and dwarf and such, the slower they grow - which means they cost the grower more and of course you will end up paying more. Large scale evergreens are not happy about being bare rooted either, so shipping is going to cost more as it goes by the weight.
Your welcome!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the input. I guess my question should have been more specific since, obviously, mail order sources are not going to fulfill my requirements.

So, more specifically, does anyone know of Mid-Atlantic nurseries I could visit to purchase a wide variety of conifers?

This message was edited Jan 8, 2005 8:27 AM

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

You might want to look at it like this:
If you're in a hurry and need an established look then it's going to be expensive regardless. Mailorder will add the shipping and if you buy larger specimens at local nurseries, you're still going to pay the price. Especially, as already pointed out, for the dwarf (re: slow growing) conifers as well as the ones that are difficult to propagate. A lot of prized dwarfs originated from deformities discovered in full sized trees, called 'witch's broom'.

OR - you can get the smaller ones via mailorder and grow them out in ground or in pots.
I like ForestFarm and have ordered from them a couple of times. Take a look at www.musserforests.com/ as well. You get good stock from them and you might be willing to drive to their location.

If for some reason you'd like a road trip up by Chicago then definitely visit http://www.richsfoxwillowpines.com/ . You can definitely lighten your wallet there. Really a Great Place to visit and he does specialize in dwarf and unique conifers. I'm glad it's not any closer than it is.

http://www.twomblynursery.com/gardening_conifers.htm When you go to this page, at the bottom click on "Please visit our online store.." to see their selection. They also have some cool stuff and also command some $$. But their nursery is in CT which may be a nice drive for you.

did somebody say ROADTRIP!!!

This message was edited Jan 14, 2005 4:34 PM

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

mickgene, not exactly sure where Linden is, but if you're close to I-81, in the Harrisonburg area, visit Shreckhise Nurseries. They have a large selection of conifers and trees/shrubs.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thank you both for your recommendations, 8ftbed and rcn48. I'll have to check those websites. I have looked at twombley a couple of years ago and did consider a CT roadtrip then. I haven't yet, though, but now may have the excuse to visit Chicago which I've been threatening my husband with for many years. Neither of us has ever visited it other than driing through it on 2 coast-to-coast moves.

The place in Harrisonburg will make a great little errand, rcn48, since I live just a few miles from I81, south of Winchester. (Was actually in Harrisonburg last night.)

It's not the money I mind spending for the plant; it's the $40 shipping on top of a $40 plant. I'll ALWAYS spring for the plants.

Michele

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Susanna Farm Nursery Inc
(301) 972-7513
17700 White Ground Rd
Boyds, MD 20841

Hi Mickgene,

This place is amazing and amazingly beautiful. If Mapquest is correct they are about 75 miles from you. It is worth the trip. I got my weeping maple there as well as Cryptomeria japonica “Globosa Nana” & “Elegans Nana, Dragon Lady Holly, "Motherlode" juniper, a Hinoki False Cypress, Chamaecyparis pisifera "Lemon Twist" and that was with restraint! I can't wait to see the place in the spring. It is a destination. They have a pond and acres of beautiful confiers, planted over the last 25+ years. It is a family business and they live on the property. No I am not related nor getting a cut:) Here is a pic I found. This was taken in Sept. 2004.

Did I mention you should really make the effort to go here??? :-) There is plenty to do and see along the way too.
-Kim

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Kim, This looks great. Thanks. I'll be there when the weather breaks. I love the gold Chamaecyparis varieties and don't have Lemon Twist.
(Do you have a blue cat? I love mine.)
Michele

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is one more pic of some of the dwarf ones next to their office. Brandt's babies - he is the owner.

Did you plant to go yet??

-Kim

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry about the typo, it certainly fits though. I used to have a "bluecat" that was her name. Now I have two orange ones! I went from blue, to black to orange.

See you in the Spring!
-Kim

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I like the typo!. Yes, I've plant to go (past tense seems to be the same as the present tense) when the snow's gone. Maybe that'll be tomorrow!
Michele

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Kim: Thanks for the info and picture. I would really like to learn more about conifers, but it is hard to get inspired by the fields of Leylands that I see at most nurseries. Hopefully I can sneak in a trip this year.

- Brent

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Brent, I've seen several of your posts - sounds like you have big plans. Just wondering, if you're close enough to either Green Springs Garden or River Farm (home base of American Horticultural Society), both in Alexandria, they have fantastic garden fairs in April and May. If you've never been, it's worth the trip - usually around 50 vendors there with every kind of perennial, conifer, etc you could want. If you need information or directions, send me an email.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

No I have not. I try to stay outside the beltway whenever possible! ;-)

Maybe this year I will squeeze in a little time to visit some of the local gardens and maybe a sale or two. If I drag one of the kids along I might be able to count it as "father-son-bonding" time. I have actually not even been to Meadowlark Botanicial Gardens which is only 15 or so miles from where I live (Sterling) and work (Reston). I know that they have a conifer collection but I am not sure how big it is.

"big plans"...is that just another phrase for "a growing addiction"? ;-)

- Brent

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL, "growing" addiction :) I know what you mean about the beltway - River Farm is kind of a pain to get to - although the drive along the Potomac is beautiful in the spring. Green Springs is not that difficult to get to - coming in from '66', it's only about 5 or 6 miles to the Little River Turnpike, Exit 5 - from there it's a straight shot in about 5 miles - traffic's not too bad, just alot of traffic lights.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

The State Arboretum just east of Winchester on Rt. 50 also has a big plant sale every spring, both days of Mother's Day weekend. Loads of vendors as well as good food and family fun and tours of the arboretum. If you go, though, bring your own wagon if you have a big one. It helps avoid repeated trips to the car. :)

Bethel, NC(Zone 7b)

I have received several of the Musser Forests catalogs mentioned above. They have a good selection at a good price. But they have young plants. Someone commented that conifers grow slow? My understanding is quite different, in that I think they are the faster than hardwoods in growing.

My other comment would be to try the US Forest service for lots of cheap seedlings.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Depends on the conifer as too the growth rate. Of course it also depends on how you grow it. I was just up in the Rockies this weekend near Pikes Peak. On a big granite outcropping there was a seam through it. Almost dead middle of the rock a pine seed had lodged in that seam. The little tree, growing from rock, was only about 18" tall but the trunk is thicker. It's healthy but stunted from being in the rock and exposed to the wind. Pretty amazing.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Sort of like a natural Bonsai!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.