A Day at the Office .....

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

For 2 years now, my backyard has been my office. I can't figure out how I really had time to work elsewhere before I retired. Now, I don't even mind working in my office during lunch. Here are a few more samples of a labor of love. I apologize in that a few of these were posted on the Photos Forum.

The first one is a Red-Bellied Woodpecker. I had one shot and fortunately no camera shake.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Female Downy Woodpecker ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Female Downy Woodpecker - a little blurring action !!!

Thumbnail by linthicum

Blue Jay ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Mockingbird ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Mockingbirds in Action .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Carolina Wren ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another Mockingbird - in flight ...

Thumbnail by linthicum

One last Mockingbird in Flight ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Hawk Silhouette ..... probably Marsh Hawk.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

linthicum, what beautiful pictures. You are certainly skilled at catching these shots. Thanks for sharing them with us.

I work for peanuts .... which I feed to the squirrels anyway.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Boy those are some great pix. I especially like your woodies & the two mockers together. Good job.

Cardinal ...

Thumbnail by linthicum

Downy Woodpecker - Male ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Downy Woodpecker and Chickadee ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Last one for now.

Titmouse ....

Thumbnail by linthicum
Modi'in, Israel

Linthicum, every last one of those shots is just amazing! And I kept saying, "Okay, this one is my favorite...no this one...not this one....". But in the end, I love them all. LOL The ones that really knocked my socks off though were the one of the "Another Mockingbird - in flight ..." and the mockingbird together with the squirrel. Those 2 are tops with me. But each and every one of them elicited a "WOW!" from me. :-) Thank you so much for sharing (and more importantly, thank you for chanign 'jobs' two years ago so you could capture all of these shots!). :-)

-Julie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Great shots!! Love the Mockers wing shots. Your first post reminded me of a billboard I saw a few years ago. The 'caption' was..."The office of the future has no office". I'm ready! LOL

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

linthicum--I love your shots, especially the two mockingbirds together! t.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Love 'em all, too. Wish I had a better camera.

Had (here) a pair of downy woodpeckers 2 days after Christmas and a pair of Red-bellied wp's but haven't seen either for a week. Any clues?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry 'bout that darius--Well, maybe they ate all the berries! lol. Maybe they don't like your Suet Recipe....just kidding...I'm sure they're around but If they come up here, I'll send them back home. t.

Darius, patience is a virtue. If one gets bored it may be necessary to get in the car and drive around and look in another area. I find that certain times of the day, bird activity is at its highest. Likewise, with certain weather conditions. Sometimes you wonder, where did they all go. You listen, no noise. You look for bird movement, even in the distance, and nothing. You look through binoculars - and see nothing. I live in the suburbs. Heck, there may be as many bird feeders around me as there are birds.
You just need to have a good bird "restaurant" with a nice menu. Lodging even helps. Word gets around !!!

I used to do a lot of deer hunting. Some often wondered why one would be more successful than others. The key is being out in the wild, not in the hunting camp. You often need to make your luck. Otherwise, you have a long wait. I'll bet when you went to the bathroom, the woodpeckers were visiting your feeders. (LOL)

Here is another photo of a female Downy Woodpecker, visiting my restaurant.

Thank you all. Your complimentary remarks make it all worthwhile.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Linthicum, absolutely wonderful bird photos. Love the different Woodpeckers. Iespecially liked the Carolina Wren. Up until last year I had one or two pairs of House wrens here and really enjoyed their feisty performances. Last year none. My favorite is the one with the WP and the Chickadee. My pair is still here, I am so afraid the Sharp Shinned Hawk will catch one of them. Thanks for posting. Donna

rutholive, thanks. Last summer, I had a family of House Wrens in a bird house. Simultaneously, I had a pair of Carolina Wrens building a nest in one of my hanging baskets under an elevated deck. I have a couple of Wildbird CD's which have the birds sounds along with the photo identification. Well, I thought I was real smart and took my laptop with the CD's outside. I played around with it for a while trying to encourage a Pileated Woodpecker out of the adjacent woods - no luck. However, when I saw the wrens, I started their bird call. They really carried on - especially the House Wren, wanting to protect its territory. The Carolina Wrens had already built a nest but apparently I scared them off. They did not come back to that nest. My wife gave me ...... !!!
I read later that you should not use the bird calls like I was doing. So, I learned my lesson.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Terrific birding pictures! Wish I had that kind of view from my office....sigh.

The Downy Woodpeckers have been my most frequent guest this Winter. Here is a photo of the female taking a break after consuming lots of suet.

Thumbnail by linthicum

No portfolio is complete without one of the birds that we love to hate, the Starling ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

The Nuthatch - the most acrobatic of all of my visitors ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

The Carolina Wren ..... Attention !!!

Thumbnail by linthicum

Junco or Snowbird. "He must be frozen. His ear is stiff !!!"

Thumbnail by linthicum

A most welcome sight .... the return this past weekend of Mr. Robin ...

Thumbnail by linthicum

"It's your turn this year to build the nest" !!!

Thumbnail by linthicum
Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

I only just looked at this thread for the first time. I love all your pictures, especially the flight pictures of the mocking birds, but woodpeckers and nuthatches are old favourites of mine and I especially liked your pictures of them.

Titmouse enjoying a meal ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another Titmouse ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Female Cardinal ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Male Cardinal ....

Thumbnail by linthicum