Generators

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Anybody recommend any brands over another,in case electricity is lost,due to an Ice storm.
I would like to be able to run lights and fans,have gas heaters,but still would like some electricity.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Onan generators have been in business forever and I don't know if they are as good as they were. Honda motors are good so are industrial Kohlers. I have a cheap throw away for the house never been a power outage since I got it five years ago Ernie

This message was edited Jan 4, 2005 5:21 PM

Precipice Valley, BC(Zone 2a)

I'd be inclined to go for whatever is easiest to service in your area! I think Onans are diesel, aren't they? I know Kohler can be both. You might prefer gas--I find diesel quite smelly.

We've had various Hondas for years, but our requirements are a little different--we're solar powered and so need to charge (our batteries) in some of the grey periods in winter. Currently we're using a Honda 3000 (The I is for Inverter) and it is very quiet and easy to start. Previously we had a 2500 and also were very pleased with it. You wouldn't need anything that large, I don't think.

If you want one to run lights and fans, you'd probably want to go for a 2000 watt.

I guess the base line is that Hondas are common, cheap, easy to get parts for and very reliable.

(Hey Honda are you listening?)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks, seems Hondas are the ones of choice here to ,from what I've been hearing,will be definately checking them out.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I lived off the Grid for some years and I became a fan of Honda also, after using some other brands, that cost less--Michael

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep, Honda is plenty good for emergencies. Be sure exhaust is not in your breathing space. Some died in NC last year when generator was in garage during icestorm induced power outage.
Carbon monoxide is odorless and deadly to animals like us and our pets.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

If you really want to know what is best check out the generator threads on RV.net. I have a propane generator from Onan and its awesome but the 2000 watt hondas are next to silent, sip gas and can be ganged together to get you to 4000 watts if you need that in the future...

Drew

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

I say they heck with powered motor types....
I prefer more flexibility.
So I went belt driven. It can be hooked up to a pto off a tractor, or once the tractor wouldn't fire, and I ran it off an old buick, just popped a wheel off, slapped on a belt, and instant power.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I appreciate this thread. If that Bermuda High does not move by June or July, I am going to get myself a generator. Being without power in the heat of the summer for almost two weeks was miserable. Lost everything in the fridge, no moving air. The temps would climb up to the nineties. If we had a fan running, that would have helped.

I can just see me running an old tractor in my driveway... Now if I lived on a farm LOL... I have a yard big enough for a riding lawnmower and they grow alfalfa in a field across the street but it will be homes within the next few years and across the other street we have horses (live ona corner) but... We are really suberban here so no tractors for me...

Drew

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't believe in not having a generator--I was without power for almost a month last year from storm damage. but I had window airconditioners and freezer and fridge working just fine thanks to my generator--

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I need, and love(!) having a generator! (Actually I have two.)

Honda makes an excellent engine/motor however most alternators/generators are made by Generac and then they sell those to various companies, be they Honda, Briggs & Stratton, MTD, Coleman, etc.

One of our generators (gas) has a Briggs engine and is a delight to use! It's important to look for a proper engine size vs. generator output size. Also, look for certain features on generators. I'd recommend an "idle control", low oil shutdown, and centrifugal clutch ( if rope-cranked).

I also wouldn't buy anything less than 5000 watts, with a surge of 6250. I guess it'll depend on what you are wanting to do though. As for us, we need to keep the ghouse running, well pump, shoffice, a few lights, and fridge (and as a treat after several days of no power, the TV!).

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We have one for each greenhouse. They are 5000 watt. It takes all of that just to run the furnace.
Make sure you have enough wattage to power what you want. A lot of the lower priced ones are low wattage.
We have used ours in past winters, pretty low investment for the $ of plants it saved.
Bernie

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Bernie,
Can you tell me how many hours yours run on a tank of gas?

If it was me for this type of use I would look at a generac that would run off natural gas. These are available with automatic switching and you can get them at www.coloradostandby.com or even your local Home Depot. Then you never worry about it. Power switches off these come on automatically and run on Natural Gas so no running out of fuel.

Drew

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Wow these are great,but out of my price range.

Precipice Valley, BC(Zone 2a)

Our Honda 3000 runs for 7-8 hours on a tank of gas.

It has both an electric start and a pull cord. But the jerk who designed it maliciously laid it out so that if the pull-cord breaks, you have to take apart the whole darned generator to rewind it or to install a new one!

Like Suburbans and Yukons--the fuel pump is INSIDE the gas tank. And they don't last long! Who thinks up these things? Obviously not some one who tries to do their own work.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We would have trouble getting the natural gas.
Not sure how long it runs on a tank. One we have never used!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I read last year someplace about a converter kit you can put on gas engines, making them able to burn propane. I sure thought about it but never followed thru with it. We have big propane tanks here (one for the ghouse, one for the main house). It would sure be nice to tap into those...wouldn't have to worry about storing gas and having it go bad on ya, and the propane would always be available (plus it's cheaper per gallon that gasoline is).

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

When I lived off the grid, I hooked my gas line to the generator to the bottom of a 55 gal. drum, and ran copper line to the generator.It would than run a long time-[the drum must be higher than the generator]-I just had to remember to check the oil.I hooked the exhost to a flex. pipe and ran the exhost outside,the generator helped to heat the greenhouse when it was running.

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

converting gasoline to propane is fairly easy.... if that is a real goal, it isn't that hard to find the info (provided you have a basic knowledge of internal combustion engines.)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Thought I would throw in a pic for any people who don't know what we are talking about.
This is a 5000 watt generator.
We have only run it at the beginning of the season to make sure it is in working order. Has about a total of 10 minutes running time.
Cheapest insurance policy around.
Bernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hit the wrong button!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

That's pretty much what I use...works great, too!

One of mine has a nine hp engine and runs quite a bit longer than the other one I have, which has a ten hp.

(Bernie, I lightened up your pic so people could see it better. It showed up very dark (on my computer anyway.)

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

yeah, it's in adark corner & the camera was on fill flash.
Thanks,
Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.