Coleus "addicts" - Part 2

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

The other thread ( here's that link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/461092/ ) was getting pretty long (Thanks TAR...;-)) and beside that it's a new year and there's lots of things to talk about. :-)

Anyone started their seeds yet? hehehehe

~julie~

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Bump, bump.....
Hi, I had asked on the first coleus thread where I could find tilt a whirl seeds.to buy. Does anyone know where?
Thanks, Donna

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

HI Donna...I haven't seen seeds for the tilt-a-whirl coleus yet, but maybe someone can help us both out with the answer.

~julie~

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Okie, dokie....I'll try to be patient....lol.
Thanks, Donna

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Hey...no one said that 'patience' was required. ;-) After all, we're talking about gardening here. :-D

~julie~

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Oh goodie....I thought I was in trouble....lol.
:) Donna

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Not with this crowd. Ooops...no one here but you and me. hehehe

Maybe tomorrow they'll find us.

~julie~

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

I found you, but I left a reply behind on the old thread!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Ha! Trying to hide, huh? LOL!

Donna, I've not seen seeds for "Tilt-A-Whirl", either. Seems that seeds for most of the fancy coleus are just non-existent. I've seen seeds - recently - for "Black Dragon" (think it was at Park's Seed), but mostly what they offer in seed are the more "common" ones - the Wizard series, Fairway Mix, Carefree Mix and Giant Exhibition series. At least, that's what I've been able to find - and I have them all.

I'm going to start some of all of them this year and see what I get. The nice thing about growing coleus from seed is that you can tell very early on what colors they will be; makes it easier to cull the ones you want. The not-so-nice thing is that you pretty much have to sow the whole pack of seeds to see what you'll get. And then you have to worry about what you will do with 50 or more coleus seedlings. After all, you just can't dump them.

Can you?

PV

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the info. I guess if I lived on the other side of the fence I could trade a cutting....sniff, sniff...lol.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi everyone! (Cindy, glad you found us! Same to you, PV!)

Donna, I wish the 'trading' issue wasn't such a pita for you guys too. I wish I lived close enough to the border to 'walk' them across. ;-)

You know, after reading your note, PV, I don't remember seeing many named varieties of coleus available as seeds at all. I bought all the different packs of seeds from Parks, too. I'm really glad you told us about being able to spot the 'nice' varieties in mixtures early on. I'd been wondering about that. This is obviously the first time I'll be trying coleus from seed so I'm really excited about it.

~julie~

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here's some photos I took of my coleus cuttings happily growing away in my kitchen. So far they haven't needed any extra light other than what they get from the window. I lost a few, but the ones that are growing are doing very well.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Another.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And the last.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

licolnitess, luv your cuttings. In the second pic there is a coleus on the left side that is really neat looking. The one that has the green in the middle with the white/peachy ruffles. You're so lucky to be to find such neat coleuses.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

They are looking good. I like that one also.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

One of the fun things about growing coleus cuttings has been watching how the color changes depending on how much light they get. Also, I've found that there can be a lot of variations among the leaves on the same plant. This photo is 4 leaves from the same plant. Some of the older leaves are almost solid green and the edge looks different than the newer ones. The lower middle one has an almost totally green center with wine around it and then a yellow edge. Some have very little green in the center and others have pink instead of wine and almost a white edge. Anyone have a name for this one?

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Susan I have that one also and posted before looking for a name. It was so tall that I just cut it down to half size and now have six cuttings planted.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

lincolnitess it's hard to believe they are from the same plant....neat! I believe the coleus is called a PG Coleus!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Susan...save me a piece of that plant (second photo, left side) it's gorgeous! Glad to see your's and TARs plants doing SO well. The only really strong growers that I have right now are the one I call 'Batik Fetish' (I'm guessing on that name) and the 'Wild Lime'. The cutting you sent of the Magenta Frills is doing very well. I think I may have to turn on the heat mats on the plant stands to get things warm enough to *want* to grow.

Actually, right now, I'm glad that things are staying 'within bounds'. If everything was growing as well as the 'Fetish' and all my geraniums...I'd have to live outside myself. LOL

~julie~

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

They have the weirdest names for coleus. This one is called "September Divorce" ... ?

http://www.rareplants.com/images4/c-septdivorce2.jpg

Love those purples!

PV

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

TARogers5 your coleus looks a little different than mine. It looks like it has a tiny edge of the wine on the outside that mine doesn't, but this one is so variable that it might in certain lighting. Yours is really pretty. I like the big ones. The closest I've come to one that looks mine is Laser Red from Rosy Dawn. Here is the photo of it from their site. The edge and shape of the leaves is very much alike. Mine seems to have more green in the centers, but I have a feeling in brighter light it might get more of the red.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Susan does this look close?

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Susan and TAR, you two really have me chompin' at the bit to get seeds planted. I've got my fingers crossed that I get some nice edge variations from these mixes I bought. But I have the feeling I'm going to be making out some orders for some these cultivars

~julie~

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yes, TARogers5, that does look like the same one! Julie, I should have enough to root you a cutting of that unknown by Spring. I did send an order to Rosy Dawn for 5 more yesterday: El Brighto, Sedona, Strawberry Drop, Smoldering and Perilla Magilla. I never did get the Perilla cuttings to root for me and I just love it. So keep these in mind if you order because they are ones I can share next fall with anyone who wants them.

Susan

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Susan that was the same plant. lol
Thats what I like about it. By the way it might be the plant that looks like a Coleus. I got one cutting and did not mark it and lost the paper that came with it. It was one of the cuttings that I got on this Forum. Julie I have six cuttings rooting now. Come spring they should be big babies. Will send you one then.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

TAR sorry to here you lost your perilla magilla, I wish I would have know, I have at least 10 cuttings rooted. If you need any more just let me know. I also have 8 extra tilta whirl and several kiwi fern rooted for spring trades if anyone would like to trade. And Julie I have a super ducks foot for you, all three you sent me rooted, there doing great. This coleus I received in a trade called magenta frills I love, the colors are so dark and beautiful.

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Susan...that's a great idea for us to keep each other informed as to which cultivars we're ordering. A fantastic way to share! BTW, when will Rosy Dawn ship those plants to you? Do they ship during winter?

TAR...that sounds super!

OH! I wanted to tell you guys about something I did accidently. I was feeding some of my plants with a root stimulator type fertilizer (Green Light is the name of it) when I knocked a bottle of cuttings onto the floor. Without thinking about what I had in my hand at the time, I refilled the bottle with the fertilizer solution. TWO days later the cuttings were ALL showing roots...some of the cuttings had only been put into the bottle earlier on the day I knocked them over!

This Green Light stuff is supposed to be used for transplanting new plants, trees and shrubs, but it looks like I'm going to be using for an entirely *different* purpose for now on. hehehehe

Gotta take coffe down to DH who is still working on his RC models.

See ya later

~julie~

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

And I also love the color on this coleus stained glass copper works

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

And this one rustic orange is also so beautiful, oh my, I guess I love them all.

Edited because I gave the wrong name of the coleus, sorry about that.

Cathy

This message was edited Jan 7, 2005 9:22 PM

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I don't recognize that one you guys, but Susan in your photo I see a few of the ones I *think* I sent you. Did the Rustic Orange make it? I know it was the one that didn't fair too well in the shipping.

I'm completely ashamed to say that I still have my cuttings in water and they are thriving. I lost a couple, but the others probably could have cuttings taken from them. Next week I'll get down to sterilizing my seedling containers and finally get them potted.

As for seeds I've seen a couple of catalogs listing some varieties.....
Territorial Seed (key in Coleus in the search box)
http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/search.cfm

Stokes also has several of the Wizard series (again key in Coleus in search box)
http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/StokesSeeds.storefront

Burpee
http://www.burpee.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?searchFor=all&searchType=keyword&NRS=1&RS=1&keyword=coleus&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

No fair! You're all making me jealous again with your coleus and opportunities to get them....sniff, sniff.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Donna - can't you order seeds to come over the border? I thought that was ok. If not I know Stokes has a Canadian version of their site for ordering. Just go to their homepage and select Canadian customer.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I can order seeds from across the border, but I've been noticing that the selection you're getting is from plants not seeds. I did notice seeds of a ruffled one from Stokes that I'll have to buy.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Cathy...those *are* beauties!

Brenda...we still have lots of time for those sterilizing duties. I've just come up from the basement where I finished about 4 dozen gallon milk jugs and about 1/2 as many 1/2 gals for my winter sowing project. I don't know how well the "milky" plastic is going to work but since I don't have people around me who drink soda in 2 liters, it's going to have to do. :-D

Donna...I was thinking the same as Brenda. Surely someone up there has the plants and/or seeds you're looking for. I'll see what I find while I'm surfing and let you know.

~julie~

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Julie.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Brenda, Rustic Orange is one that did not make it, but as you can see most of the ones from you are doing great. Julie, Let us know if the Green Light continues to work as well as it did on the first cuttings. Funny what you can learn by mistake!

Susan

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

I would love to trade for some coleus, I'm drooling, sweating, picking chin off floor, LOL, I've never seen the Rustic Orange before, and some of the Red ones, and etc etc, Ok, I'm shacking now, pretty please???? Annie

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Cbrandenburg I did not lose the Perillla Magilla. Go it Mixed it up with another one. I have plenty of starts from it. Thanks. You can start me a cutting from Magenta Frills, Stained Glass and Rustic copper. Please??

What is the full name of the Green Light. Is sounds promising.

Come spring I will post a photo of all the cuttings I can give out, Thanks to all of you.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

cbrandenberg,
I just love the rustic copper and the Stained glass copper works! I'm doing a whole garden in these colors and I just have to have them!
Any sources you can name?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.