New Greenhouse Advice

Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

We are thinking about putting up a greenhouse and we are debating between a house-attached or a separate one. I'd love to have some of your opinions on this? Would you recommend building your own from a pattern or buying one? What company do you recommend?

I'd love to hear from anyone willing to share their experience with me. Thanks so much!

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i will only tell you that go bigger than what you originally first thought...lol.....i sure will next time!!

i purchased mine from farmtek and i am very pleased.....it is a 12x24...this is my 2nd winter with mine

my major issue now is i wish i would have gotten a water source inside the greenhouse.....it gets way cold here, so when i do water i have to make sure the hose is drained or im in trouble next time i water

there are lots of things to consider whether you want it attached or not....i like mine not being attached so i can get away from everyone and talk to my plants and they cant look at me funny........"Psstt.....Mom is going nuts, shes talking to her plants again".......lmao

best of luck with your new grow space, which ever you choose

cindy

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Allie88, I am certainly no expert. but here is my experience. My too small GH is 10 X 14 attached to the north east side of the garage, and so not attached to the house. It is about 25 feet from the house. At the time of being built it was all the space I could find for it. the best advice wit what Brommom said build bigger than you think . The carpenters that built my garage also built the GH and mostly just did what I asked them to do. It is made of 2 X 6s and covered outside with a kind of Plastic that is recommended for GHs. It is not clear. The inside has 6 mil plastic ?? to creat a dead air space for a sort of insulation. I have an electric heater in it and set to keep the GH at about 50 degrees. It was 3 degrees above zero yesterday morning and all was well in there. Donna

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

We had a greenhouse built in 2001 on top of the attached garage and I can walk in there barefoot in the middle of Winter. I would definitely opt for attached. I also would give it some thought in planning your heating system. Our house has oil heat and we had 3 ducts branched from the cellar through the garage and up in to the greenhouse. It holds the temperature very well.
Florian Greenhouse built our greenhouse and I am very happy with it.

Ursula

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

When I first got my GH it was about 20 ft from the house. Doesn't sound very far but when you have to inch your way over ice and snow to get to it that distance seems much longer. LOL
When DH found that he could get everything that was in the kit (bought from someone in Maine) right at Home Depot he went and bought enough conduit and parts to extend it to the house, cut a hole in the wall and put in a doorway.
It's great now to just walk down two steps into the GH and not have to be out in the weather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.