What Class are Dutch Iris in?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Are they in the Spuria category? I've read the AIS website descriptions and I'm still a bit confused. Help! If not, then what are Spuria.....can you give some examples.

Signed,
Trying to Learn in KS

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi langbr,

I do believe the Dutch Iris are in a class all of it's own. I say this because it is a bulb, and not a rhizome. Therefore it wouldn't fall under any of the rhizome irises/catagories such as your Tall Bearded, Median beardeds, Arilbreds, Louisiana, or Spurias would. They ARE an iris though. (smiles) Maybe someone else could tell you more.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Dutch irises are, as Margie said, one of the bulbous irises. Bulbous irises are the only type of irises for which the AIS is NOT the official registry, which is why you will not find information regarding them on the AIS website.

Among the members of the bulbous iris section are reticulata, Dutch, English, Spanish, and Juno irises. Dutch are, I believe, the type of iris most commonly found in floral arrangements from florist shops.

Laurie

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks to both of you gals! I guess I should have figured out the bulbous part. duh Didn't realize the AIS didn't handle the bulb iris. I do have several of these and lots of reticulata, danfordiae that I put in this fall. Just curious where to put them as far as classification, but I guess they don't fit.

Can either or both of you explain the spuria category to me? I've read it several times, months apart, and it still isn't sinking in.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Spuria irises are just one type of beardless iris, along with Siberian, Louisiana, Japanese, Pacific Coast, and several other beardless species irises.

Laurie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have never grown a Spuria iris, so unfortunately I can't be of too much help. However, I can point you in the right direction. Check out this link.

It is the Spuria Iris society website. It'll have pages of info for you. http://www.spuria.org/index.shtml

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Many thanks, ladies. Got it. Looks like my neighbor state to the east is a hotbed of Spuria breeders. Hmmmmm......

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

they are a beautiful Iris to grow ! Talk about stalks.
Spuria (TOUCH OF LACE ) Jenkins 91

Thumbnail by tazzy
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh, Tazzy, I've got about 5 picked out right now and I just started looking on 1 site! Ada Perry, Bronzing, Missouri Clouds, Universal Peace and Zulu Chief. Do you know any of these?

I was quite surprised to see Dave Niswonger (Cape Girardeau, MO) as a big iris breeder. I know of him from his daylily endeavors. Apparently he hybridizes all sorts of plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.