Wood's Barbershp & Soda Shop/Spartanburg, SC

Louisville, KY

“Memories”

Wood’s Barbershop and Soda Shop

Mama used to cut our hair with those old hand clippers you had to squeeze, when we were little. Oh what agony! How we dreaded getting a haircut! It seemed at times those things pulled the hair out by the roots. Boys have difficulty staying still or being distracted when getting their hair cut which became a battle of sorts.

When we were a little older we used to go with Howard Carter, our neighbor and friend to Mayo to get haircuts. The man who cut hair had a small shop in his walkout basement and he charged .25 cents for children's hair cuts. And, he used electric clippers. Daddy laughed and said it was cheaper because the barber didn’t put talc on his brush to clean the hair off. We enjoyed the trip because it meant going to the country

When we were older, we could walk to Mr. Wood’s Barbershop for haircuts. What an adventure! The proper way to get there was to walk to Liberty Street and cross the bridge over the tracks near Phifer Drive. But in the summer time, to venture across that bridge was like walking on coals of fire! The pavement on the bridge was hot as hades to young bare feet. So, we ventured to do as our older brother sometimes did by crossing the railroad tracks and coming out a little ways near the barber shop. Mama never knew we did such a thing. I guess the added excitement was the challenge and the doing. Other than the scheduled trains passing, there was switching of engines and cars going on. And, from time to time we might see a hobo along the way. My most memorable time going for a haircut was having saved up a bit of change for a stop at the Soda Shop. Now this took some thought and planning. After I had my haircut, I stopped in the Soda Shop. One of the Wood boys asked me what they could do for me, and I said I needed to get my dad a cigar. Now you know that that was not the truth! That was the longest day; I thought darkness would never come but it did. We were one of the first families around to have a TV and the neighbor children would come and lie in the floor watching TV until they were made to go home. TV was best if watched without lights on; so, I knew I would not be missed as I continued my adventure into the adult world. Under the cover of darkness I retrived my treasured purchase, found some matches, and decended the twenty-five steps to the yard and then another thirty plus steps down to the sidewalk and street out of site. What a relief! Now I was at the point of discovering what manhood was all about! I made myself comfortable on the bottom step, took my “dad’s” cigar, removed the wrapping, bit the end, and struck my match, lit and took a puff. HMmm. I puffed, and puffed, and puffed. My head began to spin and my stomach began to churn. I realized that I had crossed the line and that was not where I wanted to be. I put out the cigar; I don’t remember what happened to that treasured purchase. I knew that I did not feel well; I fealt sick! I could not stand, so had to crawl up all those steps to the house and on to the porch. Standing at the doorway holding on I knew it would be a challenge to pass thru all those legs and feet to get to the bathroom. I made it to the bathroom and locked the door. I had to sit because by this time I knew I was really sick. Sweat popped out on my face and forhead and was I ever sick and scared! While wallowing in my misery, I thought of something which alarmed me even more. As sick as I was I realized that I could die; Oh no! And, I was locked in the bathroom and no one would ever find me! After a bit of time with my head in the commode I had no other choice but to will myself over this horrible experience and get some fresh air on the porch, to breath and enjoy cool fresh air and the nearness of others.

Gary Millwood
Louisville, Kentucky

Written upon learning of the death of Ted Wood, who ran the soda shop.

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!