climbing hydrangea

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

I was considering growing a climbing hydrangea this year - white flower farm has a nice one. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Roxroe--I just planted one in August here at this house--am hoping for a nice climber--it seems to like its spot and is already growing and others have it in our neighborhood and it looks lovely. i think you have to be sure to follow the culture instructions though.

I tried to grow a climbing hydrangea at my home in Los Angeles Zone 9 (which I purchased from WFF) but it never did anything (wrong zone I think but I really wanted to try it--the photo in the WFF catalog really sold me! So romantic looking!)

BTW, I think you can find cheaper nurseries locally to buy them--they seem to be stocked everywhere around here-- and probably will be better sized than those from WFF. I understand that they can take a while to get going, too...

happy gardening and happy new year! t.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I bought one from a CA nursery and got one in trade. Grew only a little bit, i'm hoping it is the 1 year sleep, 2nd year creep and 3rd year leap situation. Planted in shade on north side. should be optimal conditions but so far not impressed. keeping my fingers crossed.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Roxroe, WFF's price seems a little steep for this plant. Try Joy Creek ($11.50) http://www.joycreek.com/hy.htm
We have grown this plant in the past and understand that it does take 3-4 years to become established before it really takes off. I have seen spectacular plantings of well-established plants while living in Maine, growing up and over rock walls in coastal towns, so if you have the patience, go for it.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I've had 2 climbing hydrangeas in Linden VA for 4 years now and the one that's only in sun until 2 or so (in the summer) is doing better than the one that faces west (on the side of the mountain, so also exposed) and so gets lots more sun. But they both have grown VERY well and my biggest problem with them is making sure they have adequate support. I'm buidling a new covered patio in the spring so will move one there when it's done. They can get quite big.

Costwise, I'd skip WFF and try locally. Mine came from a nursery just east of Aldie on RT 50, but I haven't driven past there in the last 2 years so, given the huge development there recently, am not sure they're still in business. (But if they are, they have terrific plants, for future reference.) Also, Merrifield Garden Center in either Fairfax or Merrifield is sure to have it in the spring.

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

MickGene
yes it seems the whole metro area is becoming consumed with Millon-Dollar-Homes. I don't get out there much but I was raised in Fairfax.

I might give this a try since I have spent all fall creating the worlds largest trellis.
Hopefully something will grow on it.

Gardeners must above all else be patient

Thanks for the links and advice all.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I have several Climbing Hydrangeas growing along the Northside of my split rail fence. It does take several years for this plant to get established and put out a lot of growth. This vine will definitely benefit from Miracid fertilizer. I feed it in early Spring and then again during the Summer. Patience is really necessary when growing these vines, but it does reward you with lovely cascading blooms. I'll try and find my pictures I took of it last Summer. I found two pictures that I posted in the PlantFiles Database.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/42381/ Here is a close-up of the blooms. http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/42382/

This message was edited Jan 17, 2005 9:38 PM

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

beautiful!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Roxroe...plant it carefully...it holds on with aerial rootlets (much like ivy) and can ruin paint, stucco, etc...gorgeous plant though with peely red bark and a wonderful 'architectural' presence! :~D

http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu:16080/pocketgardener/source/description/hy_laris.html

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

I have gotten a GC from White Flower Farm.........I am thinking of one of these!

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I saw one in Oslo, Norway- it covered the side and was heading over the roof of a three story brick building. It's not a real fast grower, but they do get big! It was blooming and drop jaw gorgeous.

Susan K

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.