Orange annuals

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have a friend who called yesterday and told me her daughter is getting married on July 23rd. Her one color is orange and she would use any shade of orange for flowers. Any suggestions for any shade of orange for that time of year that I could grow from seed? I can start plants early in the GH. I was thinking of Cosmos bright lights. Any other ideas? She wants to use roses some but that late in July there won't be the mass of them that there is earlier in June. Here in western Oregon roses do bloom all summer but the first heavy flush is in June. I have a few lilies but really would like to think of some annuals I could grow from seed.

If I got some crocosomia corms would they bloom at that time?

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Crocosmia might be in bloom by then, It probably varies by region. Zinnias, tithonia, and maybe some dahlias would be good. And that new perennial echinacea- I'm dying to get it- It's called orange meadowbright... or Art's Pride, would probably be in bloom then (but it's pricey.) There are some really nice orange coleus too- orange foliage would be pretty with the flowers. And some blue or dark purple things might make a nice accent or contrast.
how about some black eyed susan vine or some orangey sunflower cultivars...?
Pat Austin is a nice orange rose.

Thumbnail by oceangirl
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Some great ideas especially the zinnias and tithonia as her daughter loves the Gerbera daisy which can be kind of spendy. I have two starts of that new echinacea too. Coleus foliage sounds really pretty too. It would be a bit early for dahlias here. And ocean girl I couldn't agree more about the blue accents. WOW. One year I had a border of a bright orange impatiens and blue upright lobelia. It was stunning if I say so myself.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

There are lots of orange poppies but they are no good as a cut flower. What about some of the larger marigolds?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Frogsrus, I think if you take a flame and burn the cut end of stem, poppies are cut flowers and will resserect if put into water. This definately works for milkweed and it's kin. Sidney

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

What about orange nasturtiums and calendula?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Orange nasturiums would wonderful looking garnishes.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

There's always the marigolds too. Maybe potted?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.