Why is it still alive??! Papaver Somniferum

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I thought these were annuals. I'm in zone seven and we've had below freezing, frosts but only a tiny bit of snow and this poppy is still alive and green.

Can I rely on it living through the winter or should I cover the plant with mulch or some kind of insulation, or just did them up and over winter? Will digging them up kill them? I heard they resent transplanting.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Gee dunno. They are annuals. I have never tried to overwinter a plant. I usually yank them and start again the next year. Poppies are an early spring bloomer for me here. I hope Poppysue comes along to help you out.

Big Bear City, CA

You do realize LOL that these are Opium seeds, so perhaps they are too stoned to figure out what they are suppose to do.... just coming to a solution to your problem so I can LAM (laugh at myself),

Happy New Year....

I gotta ask... are they really pretty?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol, GOOD one! Wonder why I grew them? JK!

I started them too late to see them flower:(. I'm wintersowing all my poppies this year so hopefully I'll be able to see some blooms. Our summers are super hot so there's almost no chance of summer blooms.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I think you may be rewarded with blooms in the next few months. In Charlotte NC, they do a big show in April/May and are gone in time to plant something else in that spot for summer. I'm thinking yours will be just fine. Pateince is a virtue. It's easier to acquire with age.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

It is probably a re-seeded one that is just getting started. I tried to transplant some last year becasue the dogs were bothering them where they were. They died! Sigh.
I even scooped down below the root and took a lot of soil. I guess they looked around and saw it was a different horizon or something. LOL
Mine usually look like they are doing great in the first couple of frosts and then right before spring when the weather begins to fluctuate more they bite the dust. They are one weird plant in the zone 7a I am in.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Nope, they never flowered. These are the same ones I put in there from the begining. I hope they'll make it!

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Well, if they don't make it, I have so many seeds from mine this year that I've been using them in cooking. Happy to send some along...

Lee

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I'll let you know in the spring. So far so good. We had temps near 60 today.... I hope they don't decide to do something crazy like flower, or maybe that would be good?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.