Dwarf?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Last year, My wife and I were looking for plants that would do well in the Texas heat so we collected several wild foxgloves. I noticed a very small volunteer growing among the rest and , when I looked closer, it was a perfect miniture of the rest about 1/10 the size with proportional leaves and flowers. I was hoping it made it through the winter but can't find it this year. I sure was impressed with that little guy.

Does dwarf-ism happen often? Thanks!
Barry

Digitalis species are promiscuous breeders and all sorts of genetic variations occur, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case here. If it was the common foxglove Digitalis purpurea then it will have probably died, they tend to be biennial although I have had triennial foxgloves before now.

Its a pity you didn't get any seeds from it but maybe it has bred with the other foxgloves and another dwarf will come up in time. There are several foxglove cultivars which are dwarf but not to the degree you described.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Baa,
I'll keep looking. I was really amazed but didn't have the sense to take pictures of it.I've probably missed ANOTHRE once in a lifetime oportunity.
Figures.
Barry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.