Collection of seed pods

Broaddus, TX(Zone 8b)

My datura has two golf- ball size seed pods which are not dry.

Best time to remove seed pods?

Temperature range, as we speak, 23 - 70 in Zone 8b
Thank you, in advance, for any comments on saving seeds off datura.

Happy New Year to all

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Wow -- you haven't had a frost yet? If you have, I don't know that the seeds would still be viable. The best way to capture the seeds is to put the seed pod in a panty-hose while still attached to the plant and allow it to ripen and open naturally. Good luck :)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I know little but I do know that what Gretchen said about the stocking is good advice!! When they are ripe they open up and the seeds spill all over. They are much smaller than brug seeds so they are not so easy to retrieve.

If a bad frost (a light frost throw a sheet over) is coming, I would dig up the plant, pot it up and then put indoors during the night until the seeds are ripe. That is true love. LOL

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I've had lots of datura seeds germinate after being on the ground all winter in Iowa. I do not get seedlings from the doubles though. So, if you had the right single and the seeds got nipped, they might still be okay. Hope so.

Broaddus, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, DG friends.
I value all your helpful suggestions; Chose to pot up purple/white (Devil's Trumpet) and over winter in greenhouse.
Placed silk footlets over huge seed pod.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.