Letting fresh air into the greenhouse questions

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

My greenhouse is completely closed up now, with a wood stove going 24 /7 for now. I know they need fresh air, The only way I can let fresh air in is to open the front door on the warmest part of the day. Do I need to blow it inside with a fan? How long do I need to leave the door open too?
Greenhouse is 32 feet long.

kathy_ann

thanks for the help

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Set up a fan at the other end from where the door is. Make a little window that the fan fits in and face the fan to blow outside. Open the door for intake of fresh air at the far end of your GH and the fan willl put the new air through the GH.

Or you can purchase a fancy-schmancy thermostat controlled exaust shutter/fan set up.

http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/PROD/exhaustfans/smallexhaust

Just be sure you have air coming in at one end and being pulled out at the other end by the fan. Remember to close both ends when finished.

BTW you should always have a fan running somewhere to gently circulate the air while the GH is closed up.
It's good for the health of your plants.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks scooterbug, Do you know how long I should let the fan bring in outside air, I can't do it at anyother time than the middle of the day because of the cold.

I do have a small fan running during the day all the time. But it's not bringing in fresh air, just circulating what's in there.

kathy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Dh blocked up the back door of the GH with plastic to help keep it warm at night, and this is what I did, it's not much but I can feel the air being sucked in from the other end, so it's working.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

Hah ! Yer as bad as me, I love to improvise.

Even if you can only run it a few minutes while it is so dang cold out, some fresh air is better than NONE !

Don't forget to close yer flap ...... hahahahaha !

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I got a good laugh out of the close your flap LOL funny, it's closed LOL. weather is suppose to be real nice the next two days. 50 at night and 60 during the day, go figure.

Yup, same strange weather here too. Above freezing for the week.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i dont have any problem letting in fresh air....unless your g/h is air tight, you will get fresh air in there......i wish mine were air tight, then maybe my propane bill wouldnt be so high...lol

cindy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, we pretty much made it air tight , took us 3 days, but it stays warm in there now with just the wood stove. the next week we won't have any cold weather so we'll be opening it up quite a bit

kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.