What are tiny, white cotton-looking dots on my Hoya?

Lewiston, ID(Zone 5b)

I have tiny, white, cotton-looking dots on the leaves of my Hoya. I have removed them with an alcohol swab, washed them off, even washed the roots and repotted the plant, but they keep coming back. They hatch into a tiny black-looking insect that flies. How would you suggest I get rid of these forever?

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Sounds like mealies and most likely the citrus mealie of which the white cotton like structures are the cocoon of the flying male.
I recommend the use of a systemic soil drench like Bayer Advance Tree and Shrub insecticide.
Also see here (scroll a bit down): http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/471984/

Lewiston, ID(Zone 5b)

Thanks - I'll try immediately.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I've heard someone say that they used alcohol and sprayed it on their hoyas. Does anyone know how much to spray, or if I should mix it with water?

JesseK

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Use of undiluted 70% rubbing alcohol directly to these buggers with cotton swaps or with spray bottle does work on adults and nymphs that are on the arial parts of the plant but will not affect eggs and below soil critters (alcohol soil drench is disliked by plants).
In order for it to work you must hit the critter directly which can be a challenge :).

Lewiston, ID(Zone 5b)

I'll try anything...thanks. The little pests are flying around. Ugh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.