Northern Cardinal pic and others ....

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

This photo of a Northern Cardinal was taken today but since others across the country were enjoying the snow I thought I would add a little make-believe "white stuff" here in Maryland.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Chickadee . . .

Thumbnail by linthicum

Male House Finch

Thumbnail by linthicum

Male House Finch #2 .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Male Downy Woodpecker .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another Chickadee ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Tufted Titmouse ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Sparrow --- Not Sure Which One !!!!

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another Titmouse .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Mourning Dove ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another Cardinal .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another Male Downy Woodpecker ...

Thumbnail by linthicum

Titmouse and Junco, or Snowbird ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

House Finch - Male (2) and Female ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Close-up of Female House Finch .....

Thumbnail by linthicum
Modi'in, Israel

Oh WOW Linthicum! What an amazing array of birdies you have visiting you! And eevn better, what terrific photos you've taken of them all! I love the effects you've added to the photos. What program is that?

Thanks so much for brightening my day with your bird pics!!!!!

-Julie

Thanks, Julie .... the photo-editing software that I use is "Photo Explosion (Deluxe)" by Nova Development. It is hard to beat for the price. You can buy it for $20.00 w/ rebate at most stores. Make sure it is the "Deluxe" edition if you consider buying it. It comes with 4 CD's.

All of these photos were taken through a window. I recently purchased a Nikon D70 Digital SLR with an 18-70mm lens and a 70mm-300mm lens. I am now considering buying a 100mm Nikkor micro lens. That might open a whole new world. I keep striving for perfection but seldom satisfied. Thank goodness for digital cameras. Otherwise, I couldn't afford the number of photos that I take.

Some people like the "effects", others don't. My DW doesn't like them. She said it detracts from the photo. But, I don't listen to her (LOL). I am still learning and that is all part of the learning process. I have had a good year with some different "bird" visitors. I don't know if you viewed two of my other threads in the past - one involved an "albino bird" and the other was the strange behavior of a "Pileated Woodpecker". Being retired increases my chances of being at the right place at the right time !!!. If you would like to view the others, I have attached the DG address.

Thank you for your comments . . . Hope you are having a Happy Holiday Season !!!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/468101/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/448718/

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Great pictures, All of those birds are frequenting our feeder here in the 24" of snow. Additionally I have a few Flickas and those pesky Grackle and Starlings. Sometimes we get a redheaded woodpecker but not so far this year. My photos are always to dark. Great shots.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Mitey dandy shots linth!! .. An absolute feast for my eyes, for sure! ..

Your lil Sparrow, that you weren't sure about, looks to be the Song Sparrow !!
Their sweet lil blend of a 'murmurrie and whistley' song .. can most easily lull me to sleep in a heartbeat, when sittin' out on the porch .. I'm sure you may have heard it also. I hear them 'sing' during the winter also - when the feeders go empty too soon! The Song Sparrows and the Slate Colored Juncos both, will announce a rather soft disappointment in us .. while the ChickADees and Nuthatches jes beller out their discontent!! .. hee ..

Ahh, I wanted to mention that while we've got snow on the ground here .. I'm seeing on and at the LOG feeders. The lil Carolina Wrens ... have been searching, diggin', and peckin' .. and goin' up, over, under, beside, and into .. every nook and cranny of the logs .. so intent on finding some lil something!! .. And, are apparently, finding something to 'tide' them over!! ... Seeing their antics .. adds a whole new flavor to my entertainment for this ol gal this year!!

Keep more pics comin' linth !! Am enjoying each and everyone . . .

- Magpye

This afternoon we observed a small hawk landing outside our kitchen window. I quicky grabbed my camera and was able to get two mediocre shots. He saw some smaller birds go into the bushes and was trying to get to them before he finally gave up. I have no idea as to kind of hawk. We do have a much larger one that frequents the area.

Thumbnail by linthicum

As he departs ......

Thumbnail by linthicum
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Wow, good shot of his tail feathers fanning!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Linthicum--great pics! Beautiful birds at your feeders. Will have to look up your editing software--it sounds like just what I need!

The hawk pictures are especially interesting; and the pileateds were a riot! Happy New year. t.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Your pictures are wonderful! We have many of the same birds but I've never seen a House Finch...the male sure is pretty!

Wauconda, IL

Hi Linthicum,

Your hawk looks like a Cooper's Hawk. Notorious for hanging around bird feeders. Dumb, they are not! We have a pair in the neighborhood. They like to sit on top of the birdhouse, which is kind of funny as you can see all the sparrows peeking out of the nest holes looking mighty worried. I thought your mystery sparrow looked kind of like a fox sparrow. Hearing the songs helps a lot...but they don't sing here much at this time of year. Great Photos! Happy New Year, All! April

Floridian, I am still struggling with the identification process. I concluded that it was the House Finch vs. Purple Finch based primarily on the appearance of the female (no white behind eye). I could be wrong and probably could easily confuse one for the other at the feeder since we should have both. For your interest, here is a Winter distribution map of the House Finch. Probably a rare appearance in Florida ?

Also, for all bird lovers, this site is very interesting and helpful. Patuxent Wildlife Research Center is located fairly close to my home.

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/

Thumbnail by linthicum

Late this afternoon, I had an excellent opportunity to get some decent shots on a large Hawk (haven't try to identify yet). Unfortunately, it was very cloudy and I took the pictures through the window. On the second pic, the flash went off and I got some flashback from the window. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Here's a pic of his back .....

Thumbnail by linthicum
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Linthicum, your bird photos are great. I had seen your first serries with the white canary?? before but enjoyed seeing again. The Pileated ones were as someone said a riot. I've never seen any close enought to take a picture when i had a camera handy. My daughter and I enjoyed watching one when we were visiting in Salt Spring Island a couple of years ago. Loved that adapted poem you did.

Of the birds you have shown us in this thread, the chickadee is my very favorite. I have only one permanent pair here. But I have collected chickadee things for years have 73 different items, most are porcelain. Also have 1 large scrapbook filled with chickadee cards and working on the second one, but the cards are getting harder and harder to find.

As for the little hawk , not knowing how large it is, difficult to say definitely. I thought a Sharpshinned, but if it is larger than Dodecathon is likely right it is probably a Coopers. A Sharpshinned little guy comes regularly through looking for dinner.

I would gladly send some House Finches to you, There are hundreds here and many House Sparrows also, both are real pests.

Thank you for the info on the 'Photo Explosion" I will try to locate one when I am in the area where I might find one. Thanks again for your beautiful bird photos. Donna

W Hartford, CT(Zone 5b)

Great hawk pix, linthicum. I'd go with Cooper's too. The best way to tell is to weigh it - a Cooper's is about 16 oz., a Sharp-shinned about 5 oz ;) Whatever it is, it's a juvenile.

Here's one of our resident Red-tails. It's sitting 80' away on our neighbor's flagpole with a bird on top. I wonder if it thought it had a meal there?

Thumbnail by birdmanct
W Hartford, CT(Zone 5b)

Here it is flying away. Can't really tell from the photo, but I saw its red tail.

Thumbnail by birdmanct
W Hartford, CT(Zone 5b)

You're all probably tired of Chickadees, but I love them. Here's a few from today.

Thumbnail by birdmanct
W Hartford, CT(Zone 5b)

Another

Thumbnail by birdmanct
W Hartford, CT(Zone 5b)

Last one

Thumbnail by birdmanct
W Hartford, CT(Zone 5b)

And one of a dozen Slate-colored Juncos in my yard.

Thumbnail by birdmanct
The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Wonderful pics of all the birds...love the Redbird pic.!

MsC

Modi'in, Israel

Lovely hawk photos! How exciting! :-)

As for the chickadee pics, no way could I be sick of such a cute bird ...and great pics of him too :-) Couldn't be sick of any bird pics anyway :-)

-Julie

Happy New Year To EVERYONE around the world !!! Best Wishes for PEACE, Health and prosperity. Our hearts and prayers go out to all who suffered or are suffering from recent tragedies.

I agree that I never get tired of looking at pictures and thanks to everyone for making Dave's Garden a place to escape from all of the darkness that surrounds us on this Earth. God paints in many colors and camera and photos allow us to challenge ourselves in bringing out the surrounding pulchritude. I look forward to a 2005 filled with artistic beauty here on Dave's Garden. A picture is worth a thousand words. Take time to listen !!!

Wauconda, IL

I could never get sick of pictures of birds. Happy New Year to all! My heart goes out to everyone hurt, missing, killed, grieving and/or homeless as a result of the Tsunamis. May their god comfort and keep them, and may your god comfort and keep you~ April.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Such beautiful bird pictures linthicum and birdmanct. Your pictures ARE works of art. I liked the snow you put in the cardinal pic. We also have been lacking snow this winter.

We also have a large hawk. The small hawk shown looks like a sparrow hawk. We have a larger Goshawk. I am still trying to get pictures of him.

Please keep posting - you are inspiring the rest of us.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.