Siberian Iris seeds

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

How practical is it to get start Siberian Iris from seed? So far I have only found seed available, no rhizomes. How long from sprouting to bloom? How many plants would I get from 8 or 10 seeds if all went well?

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

2 years till bloom, and maybe half on germination

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Maybe I will wait and try to get some rhizomes, would they be available in the early fall? I was surprised to only find seeds available when I looked today.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Mary, look in Henry Field's or Gurney's for a small selection. Or contact The Iris Gallery in CA. They have an online site.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Thanks, I will go look.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Here's another website for siberians:
http://www.ensata.com/HTML/PlantPages/siberian_index.htm

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Oh my, oh, my! They are sooooo pretty! Can't afford many of those but it sure makes for winter dreaming. I might consider getting some seeds after all, but I know my choices would be limited.

St Peters Village, PA(Zone 6a)

MaryE, I love sibs and spent most of last winter looking for new suppliers, here are some good ones:

iriscitygardens.com, My order was for just over $100, 8 sibs, Soft Blue and Summer Skies, (I am planting a white and pale blue bed) and 17 TBs. They sent 'Drops of Brandy' ($12) awesome plant and'Cabarnet' as bonuses. Just like Xmas!!

allthingsiris.com, had a buy 2 get 1 sale in fall. Good order from them
snowpeakiris.com, got lots of nice TBs, but no sibs from them.
These sites I haven't ordered from yet!!
tranquil-lake.com and geocities.com/jpwflowers.
plantaholic.com, all on 04 list were $6-I have a good order ready for him as soon as he updates the site.
Enjoy, I sure did.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the information and inspiration. I'll check those out.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Ok, I got the seeds, and somewhere somebody told me how I should plant them, but I can't find the thread. Soak first? do they need light? cover pot with plastic? Help!!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mary E, I think this may the thread you are looking for.
~Margie

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/476297/

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

That's it, thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.