Can someone tell what is wrong with this paph?

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I had had this paph for about a year. It has grown wonderfully, however, these brown areas started appearing about four months ago. These brown areas have slowly migrated down two leaves. I though I would help by cutting off these areas, only to find the brown areas reappearing and continuing to migrate down the leaves. What is this? Will it affect the bloom bud that has started? What has caused this? Any info would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by rockdrky
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Old growth may turn brown like this, but new growth shouldn't. If this were me, I would look at the "soil", is it perhaps too broken down? Perhaps it needs fresh bark/appropriate potting medium. Is the pot freely draining after you water the plant? What are the growing conditions, amount of light, temp, water and such. If you are careful repotting ( if necessary), you may not lose the bud. Should you lose it, at least you saved the plant for future flowers.
hope this helps

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

From your pic, it looks like the media needs replacing. Sometimes rot sets in for no apparent reason...it has happened to me. Avoid spraying the leaves in the evening...damp foliage at night can lead to fungal problems. In the meantime, cut off the brown portion as many rots can spread rapidly. It is especially important that the rot not reach the crown as it seems to be trying to new on your new growth. Use a sterile knife or scissors then sterilize them after use to avoid spreading the rot to other pruned plants.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I repotted the above orchid in fresh mix. I keep this room about 70 degrees, 50% humidity, and NEVER water after 12:00 noon. While repotting, I took a good look at the root system. I think I may have over-potted this orchid after it bloomed last year. I did not take into consideration the relatively small root system of paphs. I did trim back a small portion of root that did not feel and look healthy. I also cut the remaining brown portion of the leaves. I hope that I can save this plant as this was my first paph purchase.

I am happy to report that the rest of my orchids are happy as can be and all appear to be in spike. I am looking forward to the show. Thanks for your advice!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Glad I saw this, mine had the same problem when I bought them.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Paphs also have a tendency to grow "out off" their medium and regularly have to be set deeper to avoid roots from drying out (certain death to Paphs).

Big Bear City, CA

Jeeez CaptMicha how much room have you got??

Abby

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

What do you mean Abby??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.