Strawberry Problem

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I have posted a picture of my strawberry plants. I'm located in Naples, Florida. Lot's of spots developing on the leaves

I would appreciate your advice.

Gerry

Thumbnail by organicgerry
Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Another picture

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

gerry, you might also post this on the "pests' forum.

Sorry I can be of no help.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Just posted on "Garden Foes" thread

Thank you!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Gerry. This appears to be leaf scorch. It usually is not a major problem. however you may wish to check out:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/oldnotes/fd5.htm
and
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PG056

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for your reply!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes, it looks like leaf scorch, however you may have two problems. The second pic shows what appears to be common leaf spot (note the inner tan color within the purple).

Either way, they are both fungal. Organicgerry, if it hasn't affected too many of your leaves I'd suggest picking off the infected leaves in an effort to halt the progress and future germination of the fungal spores.

You may also want to cut back on watering, especially overhead watering. Also, pray for wind to help dry things out.

Farmerdill...you think a good spray of baking soda/water or an oil spray will help to inhibit future spore germination also?

Organicgerry, I haven't noticed too many posts by you so you must be new. If so, allow me to offer you a HEARTY WELCOME TO DG!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Shoe; the recommended control for leaf scorch, leaf spot and angular leaf spot are basicly the same. Plant resistant cultivars. That advice comes a little late for Gerry. Only an active fungicide will help. The copper sulphate preparations are minimally effective. Of the biggies Benlate is an approved for use on strawberries fungicide. On the positive side, leaf scorch weakens the plant, but seldom kills it directly, although in colder climates it makes them more suceptible to winterkill. In summary, trying to fight this stuff with fungicides is not an economically viable option.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Okay, thanks. Doesn't look like the fungal disease can be completely stopped at this point but maybe could be slowed down (by picking leaves) or spraying to inhibit future spore germination. I guess it also depends (either method) on whether Gerry has acres of strawberries or a tiny backyard plot, too, eh?

I have a list of resistant varieties in one of my books, or I'm sure the info is also available online, if needed.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes, I am new to Dave's Garden (and to gardening as well), thanks for the welcoming.

I have two beds of strawberriee, each bed has for rows of plants for a total of 200 plants

We have five kids so it will be no problem eating the berries.

Here in SW Florida, fungal infections are a constant problem as the humidity is high.

I sprayed baking soda and neem (a botanical) and am considering copper, and/or sulfer.

Has anyone had much success fighting fungus?

This is a great resource, thanks so much for your feedback

Gerry

Here's a picture of the entire garden

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I should add I don't do any overhead watering for the strawberries. I have a drip irrigation system currently timed to be on from 8 am till noon every other day. The soil here in Naples is very sandy, but I added a truckload of composted horse manure. I have a sunlight problem that I can't do much about, allowing only 4-5 hours of sun this time of year, more towards summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.