Opinions on injectors

Dayton, TX(Zone 9a)

I am looking into buying an injector to dilute fertilize for my hose sprayer. Anyone with advice on this would be appreciated. I am tired of doing the entire greenhouse with a watering can. Thanks, Ruth

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

i have a dosmatic I don't use anymore.... it was great, but the water quality here is not very good. Even with alot of filters (which I spent more time changing out than anything) I still wore out cylinders and pistons. As such fertilizer rates varied greatly with the condition of the piston.

I've heard good things about Mazzei injectors, but I havn't seen one in use, and you would need to be able to test the EC to figure out what kind of stock solution to maintain.

The lil hose end siphons are neat, but I've found that they clog easily and totally kill water pressure, making watering by hand fairly difficult.

Currently I have 350 (soon to be 2,000) gallons of water tanks that I fill with water, and mix in fertilizer. I pump the water into the tank and with a series of ball valves I kill the incoming water and turn on a small pump with an overflow hose that pumps back into the stock tanks. This is easiest and I always know just how much fertilizer I have mixed in.
I have a 1hp motor that pumps about 30gpm for handwatering and large drip systems and a 1/2hp 9gpm pump that does the smaller drip systems and some handwatering.

If you'd like I can take a picture of the setup.... I find it to be the most best method for myself.

dp

Dayton, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks for the info. How much do you water? My GH is 30x50. Need more but don't have enough yard.

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

hard to say how much I water....
my full grown plants sell rapidly at the onset of spring, and then all I have during the summer is lil plants which are overpotted.

I'd say weekly during spring I'd water 600gallons a day of fertilized water and the drip systems and sprinkler heads aren't measured, so I couldn't venture a guess.

With drip and overhead sprinklers, I prefer pulse watering, (ie running the sprinklers for 10minutes a day as opposed to 1hour a week).

dp

I have been using E-Z Gro Fertilizing Systems for several years. Available through several companies, Rosemania.com and Drip Works. I have 3gal and 3/4 gal. The plus's are, no reduction in water flow, will work on regular city water pressures, and I have used over 100' of hose.

On negative side, cannot be left under constant pressure and I do not believe they are very accurate in amount of fertilizer dispensed. Also, you cannot use different fertilizers at same time.

They may or may not be worth cost, which is about $100 for 3 gal.

Now for what I do all time. I collect washing machine water as well as rainwater in 55 gal plastic barrels. Using a pump from Grainger, I add what ever I want and pump out to all my plants in yard as well as GH.

Hope this helps.

Larry

Dayton, TX(Zone 9a)

You don't have any problem with the soap in the water? I was always told that you couldn't use gray water. Guess that was wrong. Sounds like a great way to conserve water usage. Has always made me angry that I had to pay for sewage use when I was watering my yard.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I don't have as big as a set up as you all have,so I just fill a black plastic 55 gallon drum full of well water,take half of a one single pound bag that comes in the 5 lb box of peters,you get 5 individual bags,mix it with 55 gal of water,then put a 1/2 horse little giant submersible pump,on the bottom of 55gal drum,and fertilize away.
Don

Soap is no problem, a little bit of smell. Wife doesn't like it. Washing machine motors are not designed to pump water more than a few feet which causes extra moisture, extra drying time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.