First snow

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

View of my field from the deck as the first flakes fall.

Thumbnail by roseone33
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Is that today?

a few minutes ago, it's headed your way from the west!

Wow! When I posted that 22 minutes ago, my skies were blue. Now it's cloudy, no blue left, and I can see it IS heading my way.

Thanks.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2004 10:01 AM

Stay warm darius, I don't think we're getting too much accumulation.

Man, that snow is now blowing horizontally, and the wind cuts right through me. I had to go out just now and sprinkle some birdseed on the ground since I still don't have my feeders up. I need a strong man to pound in the poles.

Doesn't look like any accumulation here either, although it's snowing harder. The roads were very wet when I went to the store earlier and I imagine when it freezes later it will be icy and slick.

I was out earlier too. Most of the snow has stopped over here. My son was just over on Martin's Creek Rd by the Folk School and he said lots of the roads were icy. Temp is droping. I am going to make a sponge cake.

LOL, the only reason I went out was to get more butter and eggs to do more baking. Might as well... can't dance.

It's coming down hard now and in just 10 minutes has almost covered the ground.

Not much snow here now....but temp is down to 27. Sponge cake is the worst I ever made, but has a good flavor, all flat and rubbery, not spongy! Oh well, new recipe next time.

I hate new recipes for baking, maybe because I'm not much of a baker, LOL.

Down to 22 outside now, I harvested the cabbage, has some freeze damage but I will probably use it to make some slaw anyway. I don't bake much anymore either.

Wow, my outside thermometer says 31º right now, and I'm not that far east of you.

It's 21 here now, this particular location is in a cold pocket and my outdoor thermometer sensor is on the north side of my house. Temps here are often as cold as or colder than Asheville. And a mean north wind sometimes hits the side of my house with a howling fury. Thank God I have a reliable furnace and a franklin fireplace in the main living room area. I keep a fire going most of the time when the weather is like this and it keeps the house toasty warm. The cats love the fire too.

Our snow may be finished... just got a light coating...

Thumbnail by darius

Snow looks about the same here. It's a blazing 3' out! But going nowhere but up.

I can't believe we were warmer here... was 12º when I got up about 6:30ish. I may be in a little microclimate.

Blueberry patch in the first snow.

Thumbnail by roseone33

It may be here that is in the microclimate! Down the road, the temps are never this low, or this hot in the summer.

Looks like the collards are on their last leg.

Thumbnail by roseone33

Oh, meant to say earlier: "YEA, she can post photos now!"

Collards may yet survive if it warms up. Save some for New Year's day...

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

It was a brisk 6 degrees here this am. DH went to visit family in upper East Tn. yesterday and said they had a significant amount of snow up there. Thank goodness all we had was a light dusting.

hmmmmmm, collards!

If the collards don't make it, I can buy some fresh spinach. As long as it's green, right?
I can get new photos posted, still can't access all my stored ones. Oh well, it's a new year soon, time for new photos.

We must be up close to 32º now... the rhododendron leaves are uncurling and starting to lift just a tad.

They are a good indicator. I set out two rhododendrons a few years ago and they are doing OK. Slow growers, Finished my fleece cat beds today and that about wraps up Christmas for me. To Atlanta tomorrow to the chiro. A long drive but he is the only one that can get me working right and I've tried many others.

Whom do you see there? I used to go to some in Atlanta...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.