An apple a day keeps Alzheimer's away

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I got this from South Beach Diet Online as an e-mail - wish I knew how to highlight in blue like darius does quotes):

Quoting:
" A recent study performed at Cornell University found that a powerful antioxidant in apples might help fend off Alzheimer's disease.
The study compared the effectiveness of two antioxidants - quercetin (found in apples) and vitamin C. What they found was that rat brain cells treated with quercetin resisted Alzheimer's-like damage more readily that those treated with vitamin C or nothing at all.
Apples are the best souce of quercetin. In light of the study results, scientists are encouraging people to eat more apples. The highest concentration of quercetin is found in the skins of red apples. If you don't like whole apples, you can also get smaller concentrations of quercetin from onions, blueberries, and cranberries."

I never like whole apples that much until I tried Gala apples. I also like them better refrigerated.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2004 10:48 AM

This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!