Container Olive trees grown indoors

PICKETT, WI(Zone 5a)

Does anyone winter olive trees indoors? We just bought two bare root trees and potted them up in neutral soil, with good drainage. The trees are losing a few leaves. Is this from the transition from the nursery? They arrived in near perfect condition, did not spend any time out in the cold before being potted up. We have had them about two weeks, provided them with additional light from spectrum lights in addition to a west window. Any suggestions to prevent "bare branches"?
The temp ranges from 70 daytime to 64 night.
Mary

Thumbnail by myresortonahill
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mary, I haven't grown olive trees, however, I'm wondering how dry it is in your house. If the air is dry, or if the trees are in the direct heat from your heat vents, they could easily become dessicated.

Can you sit the pots in a tray that holds water, maybe an inch or so? This way the soil will wick up the water to help compensate for the transpiration.

PICKETT, WI(Zone 5a)

Hello Horseshoe:

Merry Christmas! The humidity as of a couple of hours ago is about 60% from all the plants that I grow. I moved them from their present site in the above pic to a drier spot. They were pretty damp after I planted them. They stopped losing leaves yesterday. So I think that the issue was more of too much moisture in a cooler room rather than not enough. I read that they survive great droughts. These trees are a new adventure and I am glad to have some input. If it does get too dry, I'll try the water tray. This is the area that I moved them to now, next to my cannas. I forgot to mention that I live in a "greenhouse". LOL.

Mary

PICKETT, WI(Zone 5a)

A little better view.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

What a nice cozy place! I luv it! Looks so relaxing to me!

Glad you figured out the dilemma.

Keep us posted on how they do.

Will they produce olives one day? If so, I would like to grow some!

By the way, a hearty WELCOME TO DG, from me!

See ya around the site!

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

welcome from me, too! hey, shoe, merry christmas to you both!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Merry Christmas, hugahosta!

Hope you and yours have a great holiday!

"Joy" to the World! ♫ (Enjoy her!) :>)

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

p.s. recent pics in the forbidden forum ;) good night!

PICKETT, WI(Zone 5a)

Merry Christmas, Hugahosta and Horseshoe!

Thank you very much for the hearty welcome!
Well, now we have a new learning experience with the olive trees. These started out being a present for my grown son who came home from Calif missing the warmth and vegetation. Well, guess who enjoys looking at the plants and who has the work! The only thing is he hasn't discovered that the joke is on him. He is missing out on the pleasure of seeing something prosper. Ah well, the joy of children....

The olive trees are from a place called Ingoldsby in Calif. that specialized in olive trees. They came the beginning of this month bare root, well wrapped in paper and plastic wrap. Not a single leaf had a crease in it. I am impressed with this nursery. They should produce olives in a few years. I'll be happy for each day I keep them growing.

Huga, what is the forbidden forum? I keep seeing a reference to the other site....I'm in the dark.

Mary

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

i'm not sure about the shady site everyone refers to... something about getting kicked off another gardening site w/ no notice. unknowingly, you'd try to log in and couldn't get access because the webmaster decided to boot you without notice. instead, when you tried to go to the site, you'd wind up at the disney homepage! LOL.

But, in reference to Shoe, i meant a forum that he doesn't like to admit that he occassionally visits ;) We'll let him keep his privacy...lol:) Welcome again! hope to see you around!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe....hugahosta, no worries here! I"ll confess it all to Mbutcher/Mary!

There is a forum called Stay At Home Moms here on DG. Because of the title I never visited in there, preferring to not take away from the special place for Moms! (However, I'm a Stay at home DAD, considering that I work right here on the farm!)

Once upon a time I "got dressed in disguise" and peeked into the Moms forum. Of course I was caught redhanded! But it was a nice little giggle for everyone, I hope.

Recently, hugahosta posted a link to a forum to show us the beautious pics of her family! Next thing I knew I was in the Moms forum again. (It was well worth the trip though. Great pics of huga's family there!)

Mary, check it out sometime, at least to view Huga's newest family member, Joy.

PICKETT, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, I'm on my way to see the family.....
Lucky you Horseshoe....I wish that I could have time to farm. I'd have to quit pharmacy first. I'm lucky enough to come home to the plants in my "greenhouse" and my 2 1/2 acres.
Shoe, stay at home Dads are great. Just think how much you can teach your kids. Bet they can't pull too much wool over your eyes. Lol.

Mary

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"Just think how much you can teach your kids. Bet they can't pull too much wool over your eyes. Lol."

Hah! Oh mercy me...you don't know my daughter! (I think I trained her to pull the wool over my eyes! She's a hoot! And I'd never want it any other way!)

PICKETT, WI(Zone 5a)

Uh, oh!....Lol. That's a story waiting to be heard. I've got one leaving on a 6 am flight tomorrow morning for Hawaii. I'm hoping he finds what he's looking for....(story within a story). haha
Mary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.