My Shade Garden

Normal, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is a pix of my shade garden in central Illinois (Zone 5)

Thumbnail by normal1234
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Brag, brag, brag, brag, brag!! But then, you have every right to. What a beauty you have! Thanks for sharing.

Hope Valley, RI(Zone 6b)

Normal1234: What is that red flower in the background?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm not Normal but I'm pretty sure it is a dragon wing begonia.
Terrie

Normal, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes. It is a dragon wing begonia in a hanging basket on a small shepards hook. It is one tough plant. It can stay totally dry for several days and shows no signs of stress (wilting).

Mark
(Sorry for the late response - I have the flu)

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful garden!

Is the white flowered bush a hydrogena? What is the silvery-white leafed plant between the two hostas in the lower right corner?

Please forgive my questions, but my yard is extremely shady and this will be my first year trying gardening.

thanks,

Maureen

Normal, IL(Zone 5b)

The white bush is "Annabelle" Hydrangea. It blooms on new wood every year and would grow great in your area. Simply cut the plant to the ground in the spring and enjoy. The silvery-leafed plant is "Jack Frost" Brunnera. It has beautiful forget-me-nots looking flowers in the spring.

Mark

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Boy, do I wish Jack Frost would grow down here in Atlanta. Too hot! And, Maureen, the great thing about Annabelles is that when you cut them back, you can root the cuttings for planting in other parts of your garden, or for trading! I gave some to my next door neighbor and she just stuck them in the ground. They bloomed that very same year!

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Lovely garden, Mark :) Looking forward to seeing this coming season's pics, too :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.