Albanian Yam Dioscorea balcanica

Tuscany - Italy, Italy(Zone 9a)

May be a new crop ?

I read on the web on a review of a book " Mediterranean Vegetables" by Clifford A. Wright,
about the Albanian Yam Dioscorea balcanica,the only European Yam !

I would like to know if somebody know this plant,

Angel

Hi Angel and Welcome to DG!

Looks like none of us have heard of this one yet, will you be growing it next year?

Hi Baa,

thanks for the welcome to DG !!

I am going to order,as they say is winter hardy,uesd in cooking,even I still have to ask to my Albanian friends.
I will tell you the result,even though I think its roots grow slowly as other Yam,

may be you may interested in future in sending here some Sweet Potato slips ?

Angel

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hi Angel,

How did the tubers do of Ipomea that I've send you ? Great to see on this forum. I keep looking if I find some otherones then I've allready send you.

Ciao!

Saya.

Hi Saya,

I missed your message !! Fine to meet you again !
the sweet potatoes you sent me,did very well,they were a good quality !!
I still have the plants in pots and I hope to get new slips if springtime will arrive in time !!

I am anyway interested also in Yam ,I hope thi European Yam will be fine to grow,

thanks

Angelo

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Ciao Angelo,
Yes I 've been ill for several months..so I could 'nt visit DG.
How are you my friend?
I keep looking for you... Netherlands is such a big meltingpot of different cultures..so maybe I 'll find some other yams for you in the shops. It 's great to hear the tubers did fine..
Is it cold in Italy now ? I 've read in the papers that some of the crops in Mediterrean countries suffered severe damage from unusual winter weather.

Nice to see you again!

Well really fine to meet you again !!

I missed to tell you : Hartelijk gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag..!!
I saw it on a surfing !

Also I saw you among the flowers !!

I am well even though we are having a long cold winter,yes I know you live in a fine melting pot,in Spanish would be a crisol,I hope it will continue all well !!

I am appreciating a lot your search for sweet potatoes for me !!

We had snow a few days ago and now it is snowing in Calabria in the south,yes many crops suffered damages,

we so import more even from Benelux !

ciao,

Angelo

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Ciao Angelo,
I have been to Italy twice (a week a Roma, a week a Firenze, 2 weeks a Venezia) and wish someday I could live there. I was very happy while I visited. I have made several paintings of Italy from my photos that are displayed in my house. My DBF cooks lots of italian meals for me. We had a pork stew abruzzese last night with red peppers and ground fennel seeds. I live in New England (Massachusetts).

I'm curious how you started being interested in yams and sweet potatoes. I once heard they are the perfect vegetable for your health. Do you have a recipe that have in mind for them??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.