Yellow Cattleya

Campbell River, BC(Zone 8a)

I'm so pleased with this unnamed yellow cattleya. It was one of those ones that they sell at half price because it's half dead. It's taken 7 years but it's finally started to bloom nicely.

Thumbnail by nightowl2
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Very nice sometimes it pays to do that, all they need is a little attention

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Its beautiful Nightowl2. I have a Cat I bought at Kmart. Had it for 3 years and it hasn't bloomed yet. You give me hope.

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Its gorgeous....love the yellow against the black background. That's how I get my orchids. Its so exciting when they put out a bloom spike and you have no clue to what its going to look like.

Ric

I bought quite a few at half price when I first got the orchid bug in 1997. I couldn't afford the bigger plants any other way. I got a few really small ones but it takes so many years for them to grow to blooming size and the mortality rate on them is pretty high. Then I discovered the orchid society. It was a 2 hour drive to get to the monthly meetings but joining an orchid society is definitely the best way to get nice orchids at a reasonable price. At every meeting there was a table full of orchids for sale. The only trouble is that you end up with way too many orchids.

Sandy

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol, can you ever have too many orchids?

Ouch, 7 years is a long time to wait! I wouldn't have had the patience but she bloomed very nicely for you!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

From the shape and size of the flowers it is probably a Sophrolaeliocattleya. If you look up Laelia flava and Cattleya aurantiaca, you can imagine how these two species could well be past parents of your hybrid. The bit of red in the lip may be from a Sophronitis coccinea.

Wow Todd, thanks for the information. I'll try to look those two up.

Sandy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.