Beach Critters

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This is an American Oystercatcher, Haematopus palliatus. These birds were hunted to near extinction but have made a great comeback in recent years.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

They use their beaks to probe for and lever open a clam type shells. They use their beak to cut the muscle so the clam can't close.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This critter is one of the Arrow Crabs, shaped a bit like a tear drop. They bury themselves in the sand for safety. This is a front view...

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A top view after it has buried a bit deeper in the sand

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Poor baby octopus had been stranded by a low tide...I think we came along just in time

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A Banded Tulip and a Florida Fighting Conch awaiting the incoming tide

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

One of many types of Brittle Starfish...they are easily broken so we don't touch them unless they're in need of rescue

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A little Carolina Wren on a Sea Oat stem

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

3 different crab shell castings. The broken one is a Calico Crab, the biggest a Ghost crab and I have yet to ID the smallest one.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A real close up of a Stone Crab face. This crab was caught in the sand so Theresa dug him out and he was returned to the water

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's the crab all defensive...made it difficult to get him back to the water but we managed!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A ranger IDed this as a Peregrine Falcon but I'm not so sure of the ID. The bird was quite a distance from us and I was shooting between distant branches

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Horseshoe Crab casting...I worried about all the perfectly intact Horseshoe Crabs we were seeing all over the beach until I was told that these are the castings (molts).

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

It seems the crabshell opens at the front and the fresh crab slides out. Theresa is holding the shell apart to show me...I never knew. I guess growing up on the beach we just never thought of it

Thumbnail by Floridian
Modi'in, Israel

Floridian, I have immensely enjoyed your beach photos this evening, but especially the last ones about the crab molting. I have never heard of that either. Thanks so much for teaching me something very interesting today :-) And good for you for rescuing that adorable little baby octopus! He's so cute! The falcon is lovely as well!

-Julie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Theresa is disabling a Stone Crab trap brought ashore by storms. When they are lost or beached they continue to kill. Normally crabs go in but can't get out...the crabbers then pull the trap, take the claws and release the crab. But loose or beached more animals continue to go into the trap to eat whatever is in there and then they can't get out...it's a terrible killing cycle.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Very cool photos, Floridian! Makes me forget all about that forecast of 22 tonight!

Thanks for that.

Modi'in, Israel

They take the claws off and then throw them back?!?!?!? How awful! Isn't it better just to kill them afterwards than leave them defenseless in the water? The whole thing just makes me sad.

-Julie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Julie! It was a relief to me...

The big shell in Theresa's hand is a live 'shark's eye'. To find one this big is a real treat, to find it alive is a joy!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

It seems cruel indeed but the crabs really do very well so it is considered a sustainable harves, one of the few the Gulf provides. If the crabs were killed there would be no more stone crabs. They'd be hunted to extinction. We're killing the Gulf, fishing it to death, destroying the habitat...but what else is new? I rarely eat Grouper and only if it is caught near shore (never from commercial markets or restaurants) and I NEVER, EVER buy gulf shrimp...farm raised is generally very good. I commercial fished (rod and reel) in the 80s and again in the mid 90s and the difference was incredible. I quit and never looked back. I'm sure I'm pushing the political boundary here so I'll stop

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a little marine hermit crab. Isn't it cute?

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

And another in a Shark's Eye shell...this one seems to be outgrowing this shell
and is probably on the lookout for a new one. I've watched them switch shells before when scuba diving. It's really neat!

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Glad I could help Dogzilla...we're due to get cold but not freezing, yet. I hate getting up in the cold and dark, I'm ready for spring!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We call it a sea cucumber but...
I think the front end is to the right. It seems to be pushing through the sand. T says they sort of vacuum as they go along

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a starfish making it's way across a tidal pool. You can see the funny track it leaves

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a Lightning Whelk buried in the sand. It breathes through the hole at the left of the picture

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

These little birds are Willets and here they're in their winter colors

Thumbnail by Floridian
Modi'in, Israel

Thanks for educating me further about the crabs Floridian. Those marine crabs are indeed very cute!

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

And mighty tasty too!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Your photo essays are always a treat! Thanks, Floridian.

Blenheim, New Zealand

I t is wonderful to be on your beach. great photos, especially like the baby octopus

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Floridian for the pictures. They are really great! It's supposed to be about 22 degrees up here tonight, but no snow yet.

My daughter called from Boynton Beach and said she had to take in her orchids for tonight as cold weather was forcast down there.

Hope Valley, RI(Zone 6b)

Great pictures Floridian... made me warm and toasty for a minute...

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I always enjoy walking on the beach with you, but it is especially nice today. It makes me remember that I won't always be scrunched up in ten layers of clothes here in WARM,SUNNY Florida!
Pati

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry about the delay in thanking you all for your comments. I had one of my infamous migraines yesterday...

Tht little octopus was cute..we don't see them on the beach very often unless it's in one of the tidal pools. This little one sure misjudged the tide!

Pati, I feel your pain! I was cold all day yesterday. Paul told me it was 33* when he got up! 43* this morning and it's only supposed to be colder next weekend...

Floridian, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about moving "north" 120 miles from Miami. LOL It certainly has changed my shopping patterns. I ordered Merino wool socks from the Vermont Country Store, and just ordered a fleece jacket from L.L. Bean! If it doesn't warm up soon I may have to get some long johns!

I've never seen anything but Florida beaches, so when I visited a cousin on the Outer Banks of NC, he told me that it snows on the beaches in the winter time. I was amazed! It's funny how I never even thought about beaches elsewhere being different than mine here! DUH
Pati

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Now, I'd like to see pictures of snow on the beach.

My sister in Ohio can't picture what Christmas lights on palm trees look like; I can't picture what snow on the beach looks like.

Sounds like a cocktail, "Snow on the Beach."

I'll drink to that!! *grin*
Pati

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hmmm Snow and Beach...Nope that doesn't compute! LOL
If it was a drink what would be in it besides a fruit stick and a little paper umbrella???

Are you really thinking about moving NORTH Pati?! It's days like this I want to move further south, no hotter in the summer and definitely warmer in the winter

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Great photo essay as usual, Floridian. Like you I believe the ranger was incorrect in her/his identification of the raptor. I believe it's a female Merlin (Falco columbarius). Here's why:

The Merlin has a narrow supercillium (eyebrow); the Peregrin does not have one at all. Your photo clearly shows this field mark.

The breast feathers of the Merlin are vertically striped from neck to tail; the Peregrin's are more horizontal and stop at mid breast.

The Merlin's moustachial stripe is narrow and distinct from the auricular; the Peregrin's is very wide and almost appears to be part of the auricular.

What do you think?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.